Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am new to the student room, it has changed so much since I was last on here - about 10 years ago!

I am currently planning my PhD research exploring the effects of music for people with dementia at a hospital; I am working with a consultant to plan this. The arts programme at the hospital are providing the musician.

Bit of background information: The musician currently works two day per week performing on the wards and her post is funded through the dementia group, led by the consultant I am working with. I am self funded and not receiving any funding through the hospital or the arts programme. The study will take place next autumn and last 8 weeks.

Basically I am in a bit of a dilemma, the arts coordinator at the hospital has got on her high horse and is saying her arts programme should be involved in the planning from the beginning and should be a named research partner! They have not conducted any of their own research so I am not entirely sure how they think they can support my research....

They also want me to find funding for the musician as she will be playing for my research, however she isn't actually doing any more work, she will carry on as normal and I will conduct observations and discussions with staff. I am waiting to hear the consultant's thoughts as he is funded her post and seemed happy with her performing for the research as part of her normal job.

I think I am going to have to stand my ground and say I will credit the arts programme for providing the musician, but they can't be involved in the planning stages and they certainly can't be a named research partner.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? Have you instigated research at a study site and they have wanted to take the credit for it?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.