Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I Like the Idea of Reading More Than Reading Itself? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know, quite a boring title- there's a posisbility it may even get swamped by the hundreds of threads that are uploaded to TSR each day. I was just curious, and wondered if anybody felt the same. It's not quite phases- although, as a sidenote I am quite a flaky person. I tend to go full on with things, then getting bored very easily.

The purpose of this thread is basically to ask whether anybody else has the best intentions for reading- I don't say this lightly when I create mounds of fiction to read. But then never getting round to it? It isn't like I have little time to read. It's the summer holidays now, and I have all the time to do so. I'm a soon-to-be English student- ironic right? I just can't seem to physcially get past a few pages. This has been going on for a few months, going on years. I've tried to slow it down, and not pile unrealistic expectations on myself. I don't know. I think I am just in love with the idea of reading, but read very little?

I'm not sure what'll even come of this thread, I'm not sure what I'm even asking but I'll leave it at this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy. J S)
    I know, quite a boring title- there's a posisbility it may even get swamped by the hundreds of threads that are uploaded to TSR each day. I was just curious, and wondered if anybody felt the same. It's not quite phases- although, as a sidenote I am quite a flaky person. I tend to go full on with things, then getting bored very easily.

The purpose of this thread is basically to ask whether anybody else has the best intentions for reading- I don't say this lightly when I create mounds of fiction to read. But then never getting round to it? It isn't like I have little time to read. It's the summer holidays now, and I have all the time to do so. I'm a soon-to-be English student- ironic right? I just can't seem to physcially get past a few pages. This has been going on for a few months, going on years. I've tried to slow it down, and not pile unrealistic expectations on myself. I don't know. I think I am just in love with the idea of reading, but read very little?

I'm not sure what'll even come of this thread, I'm not sure what I'm even asking but I'll leave it at this.
    I was like that for a very long time! I have no idea what changed, but I started actually reading them a while ago.

The hardest part is always going through the first few pages, since most books don't start off all that exciting... just got to have faith!

I find it helps to start books when I have nothing better to do (eg. on the bus). Maybe try going somewhere with no distractions for a little while? Even just 15 minutes or something should be enough to start a book into the interesting part.

ReputationRep:
    This is literally me all over. I buy at least one new book a month, love the idea of reading but never ever feel like doing it!

ReputationRep:
    Especially when the covers of the book are so aesthetically pleasing

ReputationRep:
    Im the same. I think my problem is I find a lot of books slow to start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fact)
    Especially when the covers of the book are so aesthetically pleasing
    Or the blurb! I love reading the synopsis, and then if you read a little about the author and they sound so perfect- someone who you'd spend hours talking to. I completely agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    I was like that for a very long time! I have no idea what changed, but I started actually reading them a while ago.

The hardest part is always going through the first few pages, since most books don't start off all that exciting... just got to have faith!

I find it helps to start books when I have nothing better to do (eg. on the bus). Maybe try going somewhere with no distractions for a little while? Even just 15 minutes or something should be enough to start a book into the interesting part.
    I'm not sure if it so much the first few pages- although if I am really detatched from reading a book, a slow starting read doesn't help. I try to read in small bursts often. It doesn't always work.

ReputationRep:
    I think this a pretty classic symptom!

I'm terrible, I really only read regularly when I've got a commute on the train. Right now I don't have to commute so I've basically just stopped reading....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I think this a pretty classic symptom!

I'm terrible, I really only read regularly when I've got a commute on the train. Right now I don't have to commute so I've basically just stopped reading....
    I don't really read when I'm communting. I take a book wherever I go, just in the odd case I may like to flip through it. But usually, almost always, I read when in silence and calm (i.e at home).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.