Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best foods to eat before working out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am completely aware that you eat some carbs before you work out and protien after etc etc. I do have a small protien shake after I work out or something protien based, however I always stuggle to what I should eat before.
    I get in from school and normal eat some pasta with spinach etc, I always find I need quite a lot of food before I workout because I feel I'm always tired.
    I would just like to know the right portion sizes before and what specifically too!
    Also, the meal I have before I work out is usually my tea, could somebody tell me if this is right or should I wait till after I have had my shake and worked out, although I just don't like eating too late because I'm scared it stores fat!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    Personally around your working out time, I'm guessing you work out once, you should eat most of your carbohydrates.
    90 minutes before, I'd say eat a small meal consisting of around; 40% carbs, 40% protein and then 20% fats.
    Then after training you have a opportunity window which is 15 - 20 minutes long, this is when you should take the protein shake, but also as strange as it sounds you could if you wanted take some gummy bears, around 20 as this causes a protein (IGF-1) within the muscles to come to the cell surface membrane then the protein will go straight into the muscles :')
    Then as with your tea eat it as you post workout meal, only as they usually consist of a good proportion of carbs, proteins and fats.
    If you can't do that, I'd say come home wait a bit, half hour to 2 hours but no longer and have a similar meal to the pre workout so; 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats as easy as that haha

Then throughout the day snack on but and seeds to gain healthy fats
    Before workout snack of fruits due to the high sugar and carb content
    After your last meal if you're still hungry eat Greek yoghurt or sip of full fat milk

Hope this helps
    Any other questions don't hesitate to ask
    Jack

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 teaspoons of Hemo Rage and you will be shaking with energy enjoy

ReputationRep:
    From experience you don't want to be eating carbs right before you work out because it makes you feel sluggish and doesn't give you that fast releasing energy (due to the slow breakdown of starch to glucose etc etc). Just take some pre workout to give you the boost - or eat some fruit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.