Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What everyday awkward moments do you have? Watch

• Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    Here's one that crops up for me - saying the wrong word accidentally and then passing it off as if I had said the right one!

For example I had a chat with someone I didn't know yesterday and then went to leave with:

"Well nice meeting you, take chair"

It's like an innocent Freudian slip. Can be awkward when the other person looks at me like huh?

ReputationRep:
    Forgetting where I am after waking up from a nap. Did it in the train last week and was confused why I was on a train with no shoes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Talking to certain people. There's a select few of my friends that I will never feel completely comfortable around, so talking to the always leaves me sweaty. I'm just incredibly awkward around a few people

ReputationRep:
    Dat moment when you drop the soap

ReputationRep:
    I recently asked a shop mannequin in the Levi shop if they had jeans in my size. Observation has never been my strong point.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Looking like a loner so I pretend to text by using a random app.

The whole staggering to get out of someone's way "Excuse me, oh sorry, oh, oh"

ReputationRep:
    Getting a little too excited looking at myself in the mirror.

Also I talk to myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    Here's one that crops up for me - saying the wrong word accidentally and then passing it off as if I had said the right one!

For example I had a chat with someone I didn't know yesterday and then went to leave with:

It's like an innocent Freudian slip. Can be awkward when the other person looks at me like huh?
    Sounds more like a malapropism to me
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    Sounds more like a malapropism to me
    Good shout! Nice to know what the word means :P

Here's something interesting from the wikipedia article on malapropisms -
    It was reported in New Scientist that an office worker had described a colleague as "a vast suppository of information" (i.e., repository or depository). The worker then apologised for his "Miss-Marple-ism" (i.e. malapropism).[20]New Scientist noted this as possibly the first time anyone had uttered a malapropism for the word malapropism itself.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    When I go toilet in the morning you can hear it in next door's garden as I always forget the window is open. To make it worse at the moment they are always outside.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ordering something say in Mcdonalds, Greggs, a chippy etc. I always get my words mixed up and get tongue tied

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I get awkward watching that video from the Commonwealth games yesterday when those idiots couldn't open the baton - with the Queen waiting impatiently beside them.

She was supposed to read the scroll inside the baton to open the Games officially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwWeugawog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    When I go toilet in the morning you can hear it in next door's garden as I always forget the window is open. To make it worse at the moment they are always outside.
    That's awful :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Ordering something say in Mcdonalds, Greggs, a chippy etc. I always get my words mixed up and get tongue tied

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's social anxiety. Just practice what you're going to say whilst you're in the queue.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    That's social anxiety. Just practice what you're going to say whilst you're in the queue.
    I do that and I still muck up whatever I ask for. Its weird because I'm ok talking to strangers in the street or if I'm at the opticians, docs etc. Its just when I order something my mind goes blank and the words get jumbled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)

I do this a lot when I'm nervous so awkward!
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)
    I do this a lot when I'm nervous so awkward!
    yeah it's easy to do it when you're over-thinking something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    I do that and I still muck up whatever I ask for. Its weird because I'm ok talking to strangers in the street or if I'm at the opticians, docs etc. Its just when I order something my mind goes blank and the words get jumbled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get that, but I jumble my words even when I'm talking to people I'm comfortable with. Like with my Dad on the phone earlier, it took me three tries to finish my sentence and by then I'd forgotten what I was even talking about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.