Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do students who are ethnic minorities receive fewer university offers? Watch

• Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    This guardian article talks about research claiming students from ethnic minorities receive less university offers.

Is this a here and now problem that we should be working on? Do you have personal experience with this? Do you think it is institutional racism? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because they're not getting the grades as often (I say MAYBE you overly sensitives out there). I doubt they'd turn them down just for being of a certain race.

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt it. Anecdotally, I'm from an ethnic minority and had no problem getting offers, and the facebook chat groups for freshers are filled with them.

Tariq Modood, Professor of Sociology, Politics and Public Policy at the University of Bristol, said: “Young people from lower social class backgrounds and some ethnic minority groups are less likely to attend schools that are geared towards getting pupils into higher education or to come from families that are familiar with the application process.

That's probably the reason. The Guardian just loves a bit of faux-outrage.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an issue of racism.

It's an issue of who is the best and who is not.

People from ethnic minorities are more disadvantaged in general so will more likely struggle to meet with the demands of a rigourous course at university.

There could be some institutional racism but does it really matter if you're not being interviewed, considering that many ethnic minorities(in particular black carribeans) have very english sounding names. It's not a case of racism. I know black people who have had oxbridge offers, same with asian people.

ReputationRep:
    One thing they don't appear to have accounted for is which subjects ethnic minorities tend to apply for. I don't have hard stats in front of me, but they very often do appear to be applying disproportionately to a limited range of subjects with a clear professional outcome, and these subjects tend to be the most competitive e.g. medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.

There are also the other factors mentioned such as students coming from a background where no one in their family has ever gone to university in the UK (or anywhere) before, and going to schools which are less used to getting students into the most competitive unis and courses.

In other words, whilst there is an interesting disparity, and there is likely to be something race related involved, I remain unconvinced that it's primarily a matter of discrimination on the part of admissions tutors.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that UCAS anonymised applicants before offers were made, though I may be wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    I thought that UCAS anonymised applicants before offers were made, though I may be wrong...
    No they don't.

These findings, although normalised for attainment, school type etc, do not appear to have been normalised for subject choice which considering that there is huge ethnic variation in subject choice, renders the study worthless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.