Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour / Bonsoir,

I'm interested in knowing what is the GSCE equivalent level of Delf B2 (french exam)?

Bonne journee ...

ReputationRep:
    You will find it in here.
    http://www.cukas.ac.uk/documents/intquals2014.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    You will find it in here.
    http://www.cukas.ac.uk/documents/intquals2014.pdf

I appreciate your help .. But they have not mentioned anything about DELF exam . It is a test for french language , attended by students all over the world . I wish to pursue french and i am at the B2 level (Common European framework for language reference ). I wish to know its equivalent level to gsce .?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jolie.V)
    I appreciate your help .. But they have not mentioned anything about DELF exam . It is a test for french language , attended by students all over the world . I wish to pursue french and i am at the B2 level (Common European framework for language reference ). I wish to know its equivalent level to gsce .?
    Sorry. If it's not in there, I don't know. Try posting in the International forum.

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour / Bonsoir,

I'm interested in knowing what is the GSCE equivalent level of Delf B2 (french exam)?

Bonne journee ...
    I think your best bet would be to get in touch with potential universities and ask them directly. I tried doing a quick search on google, but I didn't find much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    DELF B2 is supposed to be considered equivalent to A-Level, not GCSE. It's not a particularly reliable method though because I felt that the quality differs on the institution in which you are studying it. I did A-Level French, a B2 level course in a university in Rennes and another B2 level course at the Sorbonne in Paris. All were most definitely not the same difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacni)
    DELF B2 is supposed to be considered equivalent to A-Level, not GCSE. It's not a particularly reliable method though because I felt that the quality differs on the institution in which you are studying it. I did A-Level French, a B2 level course in a university in Rennes and another B2 level course at the Sorbonne in Paris. All were most definitely not the same difficulties.

Mmmh ... That helps ... But i have not written my b1 or b2 exam as it was not conducted in my institution . Consequently, I only have my Delf A2 results (80%+) ; i would be only able to attend the exam on december .so is A2 delf adequate for me to apply to colleges ??? Is my mark enough ??

ReputationRep:
    Mmmh ... That helps ... But i have not written my b1 or b2 exam as it was not conducted in my institution . Consequently, I only have my Delf A2 results (80%+) ; i would be only able to attend the exam on december .so is A2 delf adequate for me to apply to colleges ??? Is my mark enough ??
    Can you explain to me what you're trying to do with this qualification? Are you applying to universities in France? I'll be able to help more if you tell me that.

French universities usually require a minimum of DELF B2 level for a Bachelors and C1 level for a Masters. Honestly, if you are applying to universities only having sat an A2 exam, you will really struggle with the level of the French. A2 is thought of as equivalent to a higher level GCSE exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacni)
    Can you explain to me what you're trying to do with this qualification? Are you applying to universities in France? I'll be able to help more if you tell me that.

French universities usually require a minimum of DELF B2 level for a Bachelors and C1 level for a Masters. Honestly, if you are applying to universities only having sat an A2 exam, you will really struggle with the level of the French. A2 is thought of as equivalent to a higher level GCSE exam.

Pardon me for my vagueness .. I have completed my B1 and currently doing my B2 in Alliance francaise .. However i have only attend A2 exam.. It is possible for us to continue to B2 skipping B1 exam and write it as one wish. I am hoping to study french in London universities/ colleges not in France ...

ReputationRep:
    Pardon me for my vagueness .. I have completed my B1 and currently doing my B2 in Alliance francaise .. However i have only attend A2 exam.. It is possible for us to continue to B2 skipping B1 exam and write it as one wish. I am hoping to study french in London universities/ colleges not in France ...
    Yes that's fine, there is no requirement to sit any exams to advance to the next level, unless that particular course stipulates it. It is just necessary to have the relevant knowledge for that particular exam. However, individual schools and colleges set their own requirements and may ask that you have sat the previous exam in order to follow their classes.

If you are applying to study a French degree at a university then you should look on their respective websites to find out the entry requirements. In my experience, most would ask for a more respected qualification than DELF e.g. A-Level, IB etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacni)
    Yes that's fine, there is no requirement to sit any exams to advance to the next level, unless that particular course stipulates it. It is just necessary to have the relevant knowledge for that particular exam. However, individual schools and colleges set their own requirements and may ask that you have sat the previous exam in order to follow their classes.

If you are applying to study a French degree at a university then you should look on their respective websites to find out the entry requirements. In my experience, most would ask for a more respected qualification than DELF e.g. A-Level, IB etc.

I was trained in Alliance francaise; and i wrote my delf .. So is it not categorizes as a good qualification????

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.