The Student Room Group

Foreign ex asking me for money

I had a bit of a foolish holiday romance/long distance kind of thing with a guy who lived in sharm el sheikh/Egypt. I was at a low point of my life and it was a distraction. Basically, after a few months this 'relationship' broke down as I was told by others that he was getting with girls out there, and when I asked him about it he blocked me because I 'believed liars' and I am 'mentally sick'.

I don't know whether it was true but it's besides the point. We had a week of no contact, then he unblocked me, sending occasional messages and blamed me for everything falling apart. He would tell me that many british girls are interested in him who 'are rich with nice jobs'. Then, a few days ago he said he didn't want to lose me as a friend, and I was the best british girl he'd ever met blah blah blah.

He then told me that he was having problems with his business, there are no tourists in sharm so no money. He said he spent all his money, and had no money for rent or even food. I told him to ask his family, friends...he said he couldn't ask his family for more and his friends are also broke. THEN he asked if I would send him £200. I said I can't send money abroad and he started saying I never help people and I love money too much.

Then yesterday he told me he had no money to buy dinner. I told him to go to the mosque to eat, he said I would never do that. I do feel really bad for him, but I'm hesitant to give money but I feel mean about it. I feel like if I did, he would ask me again in the future. And I'm not rich either, I struggle with a part time job. Am I an awful person?
Original post by Anonymous
I had a bit of a foolish holiday romance/long distance kind of thing with a guy who lived in sharm el sheikh/Egypt. I was at a low point of my life and it was a distraction. Basically, after a few months this 'relationship' broke down as I was told by others that he was getting with girls out there, and when I asked him about it he blocked me because I 'believed liars' and I am 'mentally sick'.

I don't know whether it was true but it's besides the point. We had a week of no contact, then he unblocked me, sending occasional messages and blamed me for everything falling apart. He would tell me that many british girls are interested in him who 'are rich with nice jobs'. Then, a few days ago he said he didn't want to lose me as a friend, and I was the best british girl he'd ever met blah blah blah.

He then told me that he was having problems with his business, there are no tourists in sharm so no money. He said he spent all his money, and had no money for rent or even food. I told him to ask his family, friends...he said he couldn't ask his family for more and his friends are also broke. THEN he asked if I would send him £200. I said I can't send money abroad and he started saying I never help people and I love money too much.

Then yesterday he told me he had no money to buy dinner. I told him to go to the mosque to eat, he said I would never do that. I do feel really bad for him, but I'm hesitant to give money but I feel mean about it. I feel like if I did, he would ask me again in the future. And I'm not rich either, I struggle with a part time job. Am I an awful person?

You are not an awful person.

If I was you I'd cut all contact with this guy, he does not sound good for you.

If he has so many rich British girls chasing him, he can ask them for money. :wink:

It's not up to you to support him.

:hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't be stupid, he is a conman and is trying to con you of money.

You probably aren't the only person he is asking money from.
Reply 3
Standard girl who develops an emotional connection with a guy who doesnt reciprocate those feelings and takes advantage of it. Please don't be so clueless to believe he is telling the truth? Surely if he has the available technology to message you on facebook then he can't be as bad off as he is. He's a conman and he's trying to just get money from you cause your a vulnerable and easy target.
Original post by Alfissti
Don't be stupid, he is a conman and is trying to con you of money.

You probably aren't the only person he is asking money from.

Original post by Coxy124
Standard girl who develops an emotional connection with a guy who doesnt reciprocate those feelings and takes advantage of it. Please don't be so clueless to believe he is telling the truth? Surely if he has the available technology to message you on facebook then he can't be as bad off as he is. He's a conman and he's trying to just get money from you cause your a vulnerable and easy target.

Alas, I fear these guy might be right OP. :frown:

x
Nah, forget this pr**k and certainly don't give him any money

So this dude is clearly a tool trying to manipulate you (first for sex, now for money) and YOU feel like the bad person?

In most normal situations I figure most people would laugh at the idiot and tell him to **** off before blocking him.

But he clearly tried to manipulate you during a rough patch in your life.

You're not a bad person for not sending him money, you are not his mother, you are an ex. Your obligations to him passed the minute he dumped you.

Good riddance to him to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

You're not a bad person for sending him money, you are not his mother, you are an ex. Your obligations to him passed the minute he dumped you.

Good riddance to him to.

Just to add - even if you were together, you'd still have no obligations to him OP :smile:
OP, he is so obviously a con! Don't fall for it, and I don't mean to be rude but you really need to learn to be more streetwise :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending