Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I currently have offers to do a Masters in Chemical Engineering (UCL) or an MBA (Judge Business School, Cambridge). My undergrad was in Chemistry (Oxford).

I'd like to go into Oil and Gas, but am not sure which degree would be more beneficial further down the line. I've heard a technical background is probably more robust than a commercial one, but then going to business school is a great way to get in at a higher level and make good connections (obviously not guaranteed).

Any thoughts? Need to decide in the next few days!

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrtar01)
    Hi all,

I currently have offers to do a Masters in Chemical Engineering (UCL) or an MBA (Judge Business School, Cambridge). My undergrad was in Chemistry (Oxford).

I'd like to go into Oil and Gas, but am not sure which degree would be more beneficial further down the line. I've heard a technical background is probably more robust than a commercial one, but then going to business school is a great way to get in at a higher level and make good connections (obviously not guaranteed).

Thanks
    I'd choose the chemical engineering masters, as it'll hopefully help you get into the industry. Then, once you're in and have moved from a technical role into a more managerial one, an MBA might be useful in helping you move higher up.

That is, of course, if you want to actually move into management. The chemical engineering masters will allow you to go into a technical role, whereas the MBA won't.

ReputationRep:
    first off congrats about the offers
    i would have said Cambridge but then again you went to oxford so not too sure.
    i guess with chemeng you could get some awesome jobs and travel the world

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Have you any working experience?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks
    echoing what Smack said.
    Chemical engineering would be beneficial for the technical side, the MBA for the Management. which side do you want to get into?

ReputationRep:
    Smack, Ilovemaths96, Alfissti, Wee.Guy - thank you all tremendously for the replies.

To answer your questions, I already have 4 years work experience as a Business Analyst in Finance. My role involves a high degree of mathematical modelling, simulation and concept design, hence why I thought ChemE would be a good next step as I'd actually make use of my background in Chemical science (although I realise ChemE has a lot less Chemistry than the name would suggest).

Ideally I'd probably prefer to stick to the more technical side as I hate office politics and know Management involves a lot of that. My end goal is to one day run my own Biofuels consultancy.

I guess my question is this: would I need to start from the bottom of the ladder if I did ChemE or could I enter in at a higher level? Would be a shame to discard my previous experience, plus I'm not a fresh grad any more.

Cambridge has a great Energy network, and the MBA would allow me to capitalise on my existing experience. Although an MBA standalone provides little actual vocation (bad in a downturn) and as you say Smack, hinders you from entering the technical fields.

Any thoughts?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you'd need to start at the bottom, unless you already have some previous engineering/technical experience. I've known a few people who have been in similar positions to yourself (including one I interned with, who was an ex investment banker), and they had to start at the bottom as they were engineering graduates with no experience in the field.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.