Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever eaten at a restaurant by yourself? I'm not including things like McDonald's or Subway in this really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28292651

Like the article says, I've always compared solo dining to being the loner at school eating their hot dinner by themselves while the popular and good-looking kids pointed and laughed at me. :mad:

I've never had the courage to do so although reading the article has made me want to man up and try it a bit.

Also, have you ever been to a bar/pub by yourself to have a drink?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and yes. Use it as relaxation time rather than social time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subject_delta)
    Yes, and yes. Use it as relaxation time rather than social time.
    Would this be after you've just finished work or something like that? Sometimes I've finished my lesson planning at about 6pm and fancied not cooking but I've always gotten a take away in these instances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Autistic Merit)
    Would this be after you've just finished work or something like that? Sometimes I've finished my lesson planning at about 6pm and fancied not cooking but I've always gotten a take away in these instances.
    The waiter nor the barman care about your circumstance. Plus, restaurant food is better than takeaway. It's more of a ritual too, and forces you out of a home situation -- if you get the takeaway you might be inclined to go over something while eating it and not relaxing.

ReputationRep:
    They're opening a restaurant which only has one-person tables in London soon (maybe).

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-9273469.html

The fact is, I do a lot of things alone, why is eating alone such a taboo?

ReputationRep:
    ...why?

ReputationRep:
    I used to stick to grazing at the bar generally. A table alone can be a bit much. A light lunch on a stool at the bar though can be cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    ...why?
    Are you asking why anyone would dine on their own? Or are you asking why anyone would consider it to be strange?

ReputationRep:
    Are you asking why anyone would dine on their own? Or are you asking why anyone would consider it to be strange?
    the former

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't.

ReputationRep:
    the former
    Why does eating have to be a social occasion? Is it not possible to just enjoy the food and drink itself?

ReputationRep:
    Why does eating have to be a social occasion? Is it not possible to just enjoy the food and drink itself?
    it depends what you mean by dining; if you mean a fancy-ass place surely that's merely the place you take your date...? why would you spend all that money just eating alone?

ReputationRep:
    it depends what you mean by dining; if you mean a fancy-ass place surely that's merely the place you take your date...? why would you spend all that money just eating alone?
    That's certainly the reason why I haven't done it before. Given the money, though, would you dine alone?

ReputationRep:
    Why not dine alone ?

You afraid of being laughed at ? Judged ? Mocked and scoffed ? criticised ? assessed by your peers ? sexually unattractive ? a freak ?

ReputationRep:
    Some people find self catering really tedious even at home. Why not go out locally and get fed even if you are alone ? It sure beats devouring a kebab on the street.

ReputationRep:
    I spend 85-90% of my time alone (not including with pets). I have a ritual of going out every Saturday, alone, to relax and get away from everyone. Not far, but just get a day ticket for local bus services then do the same route and times each week. People think it's weird, but I've grown up with my own company, so it's normal.

Should I have the money, I'd go and dine somewhere nice alone! The problem: ask for a table for 1 or 2 (and claim other half is meeting you there, but doesn't show up? Or grab a stranger and use them as your partner? Hmmm)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    I spend 85-90% of my time alone (not including with pets). I have a ritual of going out every Saturday, alone, to relax and get away from everyone. Not far, but just get a day ticket for local bus services then do the same route and times each week. People think it's weird, but I've grown up with my own company, so it's normal.

Should I have the money, I'd go and dine somewhere nice alone! The problem: ask for a table for 1 or 2 (and claim other half is meeting you there, but doesn't show up? Or grab a stranger and use them as your partner? Hmmm)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I just can't imagine going into a restaurant and saying "table for one, please" I just would feel that people would judge me for that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just can't imagine going into a restaurant and saying "table for one, please" I just would feel that people would judge me for that.
    Revolutionary idea: ask the person getting you a table if they'd like to join you, in which case you can get a table for 2!

Or just discreetly ask for a single table, which may be better for everyone!

In actual fact, I was looking for a table to sit at in a big shopping centre style food court recently, and one of the cleaners asked if I was alright, and I said I was looking for a table, and I had to say it was just for me. When she found a place, where there were people already, she made it quite clear that I was alone. To cut the story short, the family that I was table-sharing with were really nice and we engaged in a long conversation. Quite funny, really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Eating is a communal, shared and wonderful experience.

It's one of the best things about being human. I have eaten on my own before and it's peaceful, relaxing and calming but there's still something great about the shared experience of eating a meal around a table with people you love.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever eaten at a restaurant by yourself? I'm not including things like McDonald's or Subway in this really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28292651

Like the article says, I've always compared solo dining to being the loner at school eating their hot dinner by themselves while the popular and good-looking kids pointed and laughed at me. :mad:

I've never had the courage to do so although reading the article has made me want to man up and try it a bit.

Also, have you ever been to a bar/pub by yourself to have a drink?
    I eat at fancy restaurants by myself all the time. It's one of my favourite 'alone time' things to do

Going to the pub to read a book and have a quiet pint is also lovely. Would recommend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.