The Student Room Group

Water or squash first when making squash drinks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plasmaman
I don't add water to my squash

I often sip a small amount of raw squash but have never heard of someone actually drinking it neat... :eek:
Squash first and then water

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually I put squash then water. If you do it the other way around, it's too watery and not strong enough
I always put the water in the glass first then add the diluting juice.
Definitely the squash first. It mixes better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squash first then water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squash then water

Ratio like 1:6
Always squash first then water and ice otherwise a bit difficult to estimate how much squash I've poured into the glass.

The only exception is when I'm making it with soda water, the it is soda water, ice and then squash which I pour from the side of the of the glass very slowly. Find that if it is done any other way the aeration isn't quite as strong.
Squash first, then water. :smile:

I always aim for a 1:4 ratio, except for if you get some of this "double concentrate" stuff - in the case of the latter, it's 1:9.
Squash before water. It's much easier. Putting in squash after water would be difficult as I'd put too much water in and it becomes too diluted, meaning I'd have to tip some away. I find it easier to judge volume if the liquid is coloured.

I'm not sure about my ratio but it depends on the squash.
For orange it's about 1:5, but blackcurrant and apple is 1:4

I think if I poured the water and the squash in simultaneously I'd end up in a fine squashy mess!
(edited 9 years ago)
A few days back I tried something new, decided to premix 50:50 squash and water then freeze it in ice trays.

To serve get some soda water or lemonade (room temperature) and add 6-8 cubes into it. I think I finally found a drink that didn't bother me when the ice melted :biggrin:
Squash first. Anyone who does otherwise is probably just hell bent on watching the world burn.
(a)
It depends. I have been known to drink Morrisons' squash (not double concentrate) neat on occasion. But I'd say it's a 40:40:10 spilt in water first/squash fist/same time.
I look forward to the more important poll on tea and milk.
Original post by barnetlad
I look forward to the more important poll on tea and milk.

Not sure if serious.

That thread was done last week as well. :wink: Go check it out in food and drink.
Reply 76
It's obviously choice A.

But, even if you DIDN'T do choice A, who on EARTH would do choice C? That's just psychopathic.
Original post by Mackay
It's obviously choice A.

But, even if you DIDN'T do choice A, who on EARTH would do choice C? That's just psychopathic.

Choice C would probably result in errors with the concentration of the drink, i.e. make it too strong! :doh:
Wrong. Squash first, because there's less of it he water mixes it thoroughly. Sod pattterns I want a consistent flavour throughout.
I have to add too. Surely this is something we all mastered at an early age based on our individual preference. I always pour the exact amount of squash the add water. Simple.

Quick Reply

Latest