Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in response to the should less people go to Uni but the question is bothering me at the moment somewhat.

My District Council (Southern/West Sussex) released some figures some months ago that how proud it was that 58% of school leavers from 2012 from its 8 state secondary schools are now going on to uni to start 2014. All well and good. Of course it was discussed in the "should uni be free but less go" debate it is a fairly simlistic task to get into "a" university. There are also 6 private schools in the area - I imagine the figures are more towards 95% of private school leavers are going on to uni in Sussex.

Lets say then (this is an estimate on my part) 65% of school leavers from Sussex will go on to university in 2014.

Now university isn't all about getting a job...however the number of jobs in the area where a degree is essential (defined by which you cannot enter the profession without a degree...lawyer, doctor etc) is only at 15-17%............................. ................................ ................................ .....................

Now there is a grey area...where a degree is beneficial...how big the grey area is though its not for me to say....

I take huge issue though with the council saying what a fantastic achievement it is and a good thing that 58% of its school leavers are going to uni. I fear for many of these young people the 3 years would be better invested in apprenticeships, learning a trade...hell even starting on the bottom rung at a office at £6 an hour.

I am not in the brigade of unless your degree is from Oxbridge and its in law its worthless...I think education is fantastic thing and a degree is proud achievement.

I just think with the above figures...its simply not going to add up...there are not enough grad jobs to go round in Sussex in relation for the about of people going to uni.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree that too many people are going to university - a lot of people recognise that's a problem. However, are you sure that only 15-17% of jobs require a degree? I thought the figure was much, much higher.

ReputationRep:
    As said 15-17% where the degree is essential...doctor/lawyer/nurse/teacher in a state school. I accept that a lot of jobs a degree is highly advantagous...but not essential.

As said this is Sussex not a national figure and not a very urban area...and I don't expect people to grow up and work in the same place as well.

I have no clue what it is on a national scale. Probably 10-15% higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daftpunker)
    As said 15-17% where the degree is essential...doctor/lawyer/nurse/teacher in a state school. I accept that a lot of jobs a degree is highly advantagous...but not essential.

As said this is Sussex not a national figure and not a very urban area...and I don't expect people to grow up and work in the same place as well.

I have no clue what it is on a national scale. Probably 10-15% higher.
    Plus any grad scheme.

Plus most scientific positions.

Plus any of these in West Sussex...

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/...gn_job60204649

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/...ve_job60193031

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/...ce_job60045914

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.