The Student Room Group

I don't have enough extra-curriculars

I was reading some personal statements in TSR's personal statement, and many of them had really impressive extra-curriculars- things like national competitions etc.
My 'extra-curriculars' currently consist of:
1) Film reviewing- this is just a random hobby of mine
2) Languages (I've won a few awards for languages including a german olympiad award)
3) Duke of Edinburgh (bronze, skipping silver and going onto gold)
4) Athletics- I do a few competitions here and there. I also beat the school record for 100m which was nice :biggrin:

But apart from that, nothing. I play no instruments or play any sports competitively. All of my achievements are academic (physics olympiad, maths challenge, headteacher's commendation, best student award).

Will this make me look like a less well-rounded individual? I'm considering applying for medicine, which I know is very big on extra-curriculars.
What can I do to improve my ECs during my first year of sixth form? Thanks :biggrin:
That is already far more extra-curriculars than I had on my personal statement & I got by just fine.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
That is already far more extra-curriculars than I had on my personal statement & I got by just fine.

These are all from year 11 though.. When I'm applying, I'll be at the end of year 12. Will they still be relevant?
Original post by thechemistress
These are all from year 11 though.. When I'm applying, I'll be at the end of year 12. Will they still be relevant?

Yeah, you don't have to say when you did them. I was mentioning things from year 10.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Yeah, you don't have to say when you did them. I was mentioning things from year 10.

Ah, right. That's great then, thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest