Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help for my friend would be greatly appreciated :) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First off thank you for looking at my thread... I'm sure this question has been answered previously in some thread but was hoping someone could help my friend ...

The situation is that he is currently worried that he hasn't made the grades to get into his chosen university course (zoo management Fdsc) ... the course he has just completed along with myself is the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management, however, he had previously done a BTEC Level 2 in Animal Care and got distinction overall ...

The question I am asking is if his ucas points he achieved from his animal care course can be totalled up along with whatever points he achieves from the animal management course (basically both points from both courses added together for his overall ucas points) ??

I hope that all made sense, thank you again ! Happy summer holidays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacey.harding19)
    First off thank you for looking at my thread... I'm sure this question has been answered previously in some thread but was hoping someone could help my friend ...

The situation is that he is currently worried that he hasn't made the grades to get into his chosen university course (zoo management Fdsc) ... the course he has just completed along with myself is the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management, however, he had previously done a BTEC Level 2 in Animal Care and got distinction overall ...

The question I am asking is if his ucas points he achieved from his animal care course can be totalled up along with whatever points he achieves from the animal management course (basically both points from both courses added together for his overall ucas points) ??

I hope that all made sense, thank you again ! Happy summer holidays
    It depends on what the conditions of his offer are. If they are simply 'X UCAS points' then it doesn't matter where they come from. If it states 'X UCAS points from BTEC Level 3...' then obviously they can only come from that qualification.

ReputationRep:
    He should have declared it on his UCAS application, so the university will have taken it into account already in his application (i.e. in the offer he has been given).

Just make sure he's available on results day, and get on the phone asap. Nobody can tell you how (un)likely it is he will get a place when missing his offer, but he is very unlikely to be the only person that misses their offer. Some places actively prefer candidates who missed their offers, but were a firm offer holder, over someone who never applied there. It's just a waiting game at this stage, i'm afraid.

I can't see that being a particularly oversubscribed course, so stay positive

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for replying to my message - I will let him know what you have both written, it has been of great help ... again thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Somebody will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, because BTEC isn't my area of expertise, but I believe level 2 doesn't count for Ucas points.

ReputationRep:
    His BTEC Level 2 in Animal Care will not count for UCAS Points as it is equivalent to GCSE not A Level. Only the Extended Level 3 Diploma will count unless he has other level 3 qualifications. The Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A Levels and therefore should be given 3 grades. He counts all the points from each of the grades to find out the UCAS Points that he has. The UCAS Points are:

D* = 140
    D = 120
    M = 80
    P = 40

Eg: If he has DMM then its 120+80+80 = 280 UCAS Points.

If he has met the conditions then he is guaranteed a place on his chosen course. If not then he will have to wait for the university to reply as he may get in even if he has slightly missed the conditions. However if worst comes to the worst your friend may be put into Clearing. More info on Clearing can be found on this website.

I hope you find this useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.