Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with transferring and starting on pharmacy Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if any pharm students could help me out. I recently transferred from Chemical and Pharmaceutical sciences (BSc) to pharmacy and I am nervous to say the least; I'm worried about the biology / therapeutics content as I have always been used to more straight chemistry / math and a little bio, bio chem etc. and got 54 first year, 67 second year and then managed to transfer and I know you have to do therapeutics 3 in third year which builds on 2 in second year which I will have to re-take from September along with 5 other modules. I got most of the pharmakokinetics as its just formulas but as far as understanding something like the inflammation response goes I have trouble following many fancy words .

My question really is.. how much of a step up will pharmacy be from the BSc ? Should I take full advantage and start working full steam from day 1? I was used to a few 9-5 workload days and a few hours like 11-1 the other days. Also with hard work and repetition can almost anyone handle the amount of work they throw at you e.g. complicated therapeutics and a hundred meds to memorize? IS it just commitment and repetition? Thanks a bunch for any advice : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbooth5)
    Hi guys, I was wondering if any pharm students could help me out. I recently transferred from Chemical and Pharmaceutical sciences (BSc) to pharmacy and I am nervous to say the least; I'm worried about the biology / therapeutics content as I have always been used to more straight chemistry / math and a little bio, bio chem etc. and got 54 first year, 67 second year and then managed to transfer and I know you have to do therapeutics 3 in third year which builds on 2 in second year which I will have to re-take from September along with 5 other modules. I got most of the pharmakokinetics as its just formulas but as far as understanding something like the inflammation response goes I have trouble following many fancy words .

My question really is.. how much of a step up will pharmacy be from the BSc ? Should I take full advantage and start working full steam from day 1? I was used to a few 9-5 workload days and a few hours like 11-1 the other days. Also with hard work and repetition can almost anyone handle the amount of work they throw at you e.g. complicated therapeutics and a hundred meds to memorize? IS it just commitment and repetition? Thanks a bunch for any advice : )
    Hey, are you going into 2nd year or 1st year of Pharmacy? If it's the 1st year, you don't need to worry (some of my friends transferred from Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences at Kingston University to 1st year Pharmacy at Brighton, and they're doing well without too much work). If it's the 2nd year, I would just read up on the A Level Human Biology syllabus (if you can get a CGP revision guide for Human Biology, you should be fine).

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Im going into 2nd year pharmacy as I have basically already done first year in the old course but that was 2 years ago. Thanks a bunch, that's good to hear they are doing fine without too much work put my mind at ease. I will try to read up on A level human bio or parts that are relevant ! Im not at Kingston btw but sure its extremely similar

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.