Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure theoretical is the wrong choice of word but what I'm trying to say is something like maths for beginners (all the way to advanced) but for someone who has no time to go through the small and annoying details. Essentially a bad ass and academic book written by a professor at some edgy university which teaches you maths at a high level but from the beginning in a condensed and time-saving way.

Does this exist or am I asking for too much?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the closest to what you're talking about is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_mathematics

I think most mathematicians would say these books don't really "work" in terms of getting people to properly understand the topics. Once you avoid the "small and annoying details" you're not really learning about mathematics, more "these are some things that real mathematicians have proved".

It's not quite as black and white as that of course, but the issue is definitely a real one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I'd say the closest to what you're talking about is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_mathematics

I think most mathematicians would say these books don't really "work" in terms of getting people to properly understand the topics. Once you avoid the "small and annoying details" you're not really learning about mathematics, more "these are some things that real mathematicians have proved".

It's not quite as black and white as that of course, but the issue is definitely a real one.
    Ouch. Those books linked in popular mathematics are quite topical and not concerned with learning maths but rather conceptualizing maths ideas. I guess I will have to 'learn' it but I'm not sure where to start. It's an intellectual burden on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fact)
    I'm pretty sure theoretical is the wrong choice of word but what I'm trying to say is something like maths for beginners (all the way to advanced) but for someone who has no time to go through the small and annoying details. Essentially a bad ass and academic book written by a professor at some edgy university which teaches you maths at a high level but from the beginning in a condensed and time-saving way.

Maybe you want something like the Princeton Companion to Mathematics: Timothy Gowers

I haven't seen it myself, so I can't tell you what level it's at though.

Other possibilities are the recent books by Leonard Susskind, which are aimed at wanna-be theoretical physicists. They are heavily mathematical however. (The Absolute Minimum is one, I forget the other(s))

I agree with DFranklin's comment though: you can't really learn maths without doing maths, working all the little examples and problems, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fact)

what level are you 'equipped' to. ie have u done gcse , alevel ?! I recommend the Olympiad books by UKMT although for 16 year olds + (most of them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    they are probably the most complex maths problems and concepts written by christopher j bradley. Proffessor at cambridge and head of IMO teams couple of times. The maths is basically crazy hard and most graduates in maths will most lilely struggle with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Algebra of geometry is very good.
    Number theory is also good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the books are designed to start tackling after gcse period and between a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Maybe you want something like the Princeton Companion to Mathematics: Timothy Gowers

I haven't seen it myself, so I can't tell you what level it's at though.

Other possibilities are the recent books by Leonard Susskind, which are aimed at wanna-be theoretical physicists. They are heavily mathematical however. (The Absolute Minimum is one, I forget the other(s))

I agree with DFranklin's comment though: you can't really learn maths without doing maths, working all the little examples and problems, and so on.
    That book does look good indeed. I will purchase it after refreshing my memory on the basics.

(Original post by physicsmaths)
    what level are you 'equipped' to. ie have u done gcse , alevel ?! I recommend the Olympiad books by UKMT although for 16 year olds + (most of them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably GCSE, that was the last time I did math and I feel like I've forgotten most of it, done all essay A-levels so my mind needs a bit of a wake-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fact)

What kind of understanding are we talking about? Being able to understand what people are on about in a conversation, or being able to sit down and explain how something works, alongside derivations? Because the former you might be able to get from a book. The latter.... no.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that would really be possible, and even if it were, I think it would be akin to memorizing trivia if you remove the details, and so you'd probably very quickly forget it.

The best way to learn maths is just to do problems unfortunately/fortunately

Good news - to get to end of A level knowledge, you need to know very little, the tricky bit is just having trained your understanding to a suitable level

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.