Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How far from your home did you travel to buy your first car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I notice it is a recurring theme on TSR, many seem rather reluctant to travel all that far to buy their first car.

Approximately how far did you travel to buy your first car?

ReputationRep:
    Not far, but I have heard you can get some good deals if you go up north, presumably because they are still married to the idea of a horse and cart rather than using an engine.

ReputationRep:
    Myself, the first car I bought was a Volvo 164 in Sweden, I didn't travel too far, I saw it parked in town with a notice on the window, gave the seller a call.

My 2nd car, I had made up my mind I would buy either an Austin or Rover Metro as it was cheap to insure and fairly easy to fix and I couldn't bring myself to buying a Mini at that time. I was then at Oxford, looked at 2 within Oxford, 2 in High Wycombe, 4 in Banbury and the one I actually bought was in a small Cotswold village called Charlbury, several train stops away. Bought it off one OAP who had advertised it in the AutoTrader which I browsed at a WH Smith Was quite the adventure as I myself didn't know that much about cars just beyond that it shouldn't make any unusual noises.

ReputationRep:
    Half a mile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dad took it upon himself (thankfully!) to find me a car, which he found from a car auction.

So I have no idea but I would imagine he wouldn't have travelled more than 30ish miles for it.

ReputationRep:
    From Gwent in South Wales to Bristol for a Toyota Yaris, great car to drive and very reliable.

ReputationRep:
    40 miles,
    20 for last one
    150 for my current one

ReputationRep:
    First one was from a garage less than a mile from my parents' house.

Second one was from Putney, about 10 miles away (but a pain in the arse to drive to across south London).

ReputationRep:
    8 miles I think for my first car.

It was handy because I had to take it back for repairs and it would've been a pain if it was further away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Literally at the top of my road, we were just lucky they were selling their car!

ReputationRep:
    5 miles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Myself, the first car I bought was a Volvo 164 in Sweden, I didn't travel too far, I saw it parked in town with a notice on the window, gave the seller a call.

My 2nd car, I had made up my mind I would buy either an Austin or Rover Metro as it was cheap to insure and fairly easy to fix and I couldn't bring myself to buying a Mini at that time. I was then at Oxford, looked at 2 within Oxford, 2 in High Wycombe, 4 in Banbury and the one I actually bought was in a small Cotswold village called Charlbury, several train stops away. Bought it off one OAP who had advertised it in the AutoTrader which I browsed at a WH Smith Was quite the adventure as I myself didn't know that much about cars just beyond that it shouldn't make any unusual noises.
    Visit me where I work in Chippy, I wanna check out the Tesla. Or is it in Norway?

I traveled about an hour and 20 mins to Dunstable to get my first car which was a Ford Fiesta 1.25L. Epic first car.

ReputationRep:
    4 miles roughly

ReputationRep:
    I notice it is a recurring theme on TSR, many seem rather reluctant to travel all that far to buy their first car.

Approximately how far did you travel to buy your first car?
    The garage where i brought my first car from was about 3 miles away.
    I wouldnt buy another car from there again though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    The garage where i brought my first car from was about 3 miles away.
    I wouldnt buy another car from there again though.
    They sold you that lemon Fiat Punto?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by live_a_life)
    Visit me where I work in Chippy, I wanna check out the Tesla. Or is it in Norway?

I traveled about an hour and 20 mins to Dunstable to get my first car which was a Ford Fiesta 1.25L. Epic first car.
    The Tesla is in Norway.

Fiesta Mk5 or Mk6?

ReputationRep:
    The Tesla is in Norway.

Fiesta Mk5 or Mk6?
    Fiesta Mk5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They sold you that lemon Fiat Punto?
    Yep.
    You got it.

ReputationRep:
    7 miles in the same city ....

Second car.....15miles in the next city on the main dual carriage

So not that far for both cars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by live_a_life)
    Fiesta Mk5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Must have been a world of difference going from an entry level hatchback to a premium executive sedan class of car.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.