The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Economics degree without Maths A-Level??

My firm choice is University of Surrey and insurance is Reading, I've chosen to study Economics BSC but I was wondering if it would be too difficult for me as I have not done any maths in GCSE. Anyone else doing economics without any maths? Or can anyone give me their honest opinion regarding this? Much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by its1brahim
My firm choice is University of Surrey and insurance is Reading, I've chosen to study Economics BSC but I was wondering if it would be too difficult for me as I have not done any maths in GCSE. Anyone else doing economics without any maths? Or can anyone give me their honest opinion regarding this? Much appreciated! :smile:

isnt a-level maths essential for economics?
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by 29Bilal96
isnt a-level maths essential for economics?

I thought so too.. This was my ambitious choice lol but I am starting to doubt the course as I don't think I'll be able to handle all the maths ... :confused:
I thought so too.. This was my ambitious choice lol but I am starting to doubt the course as I don't think I'll be able to handle all the maths ... :confused:

wait have you applied yet? what year are you in?
Reply 4

What they'll probably do is split those who are taking the degree into two groups; those who have done Maths A-level and those who haven't. They'll then teach those who haven't the basic maths skills necessary for the degree (e.g. calculus and linear algebra). That's what they're doing at my uni anyway :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 29Bilal96
wait have you applied yet? what year are you in?

Year 13 lol applied for the course starting in September! I may consider a BA in economics elsewhere .. But Surrey is top 10 for Eco and that would be a waste if I rejected them :confused:
Reply 6
Original post by Petrue
What they'll probably do is split the those who are taking the degree into two groups; those who have done Maths A-level and those who haven't. They'll then teach those who haven't the basic maths skills necessary for the degree (e.g. calculus and linear algebra). That's what they're doing at my uni anyway :smile:

Yeah I spoke with the tutor at the uni, he said everyone will start at the same point as some people haven't done economics at a-level, they'll get taught this. I may be over thinking this lol.. Did you do maths at a-level?
Reply 7
Yeah I spoke with the tutor at the uni, he said everyone will start at the same point as some people haven't done economics at a-level, they'll get taught this. I may be over thinking this lol.. Did you do maths at a-level?

I'm not currently at uni (I'm the same year as you) but I yes, I am doing Maths A-level. At my uni open day the head of department says they'll have two groups (A&B) with the B group being taught calculus etc and the A group storming ahead with the other modules. This may be different at Surrey but, seeing as you need A*AA to get onto the course (if you haven't done maths A-level) and if you're hoping to get grades that good then I'm sure you'll be fine with the maths :smile:
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/economics

A-level
Grades required:

A*AA (without Mathematics) or AAA (with Mathematics)

(including A in A-level Mathematics or a recognised University equivalent, such as IB Higher Level Maths grade 6 or above).

For applicants with Access, a supporting A level in Mathematics is required.

We do not include General Studies or Critical Thinking in our offers.
Required subjects
GCSE English Language at grade C or above and GCSE Mathematics at grade A or above (or equivalent).

So if you haven't got a maths GCSE with A or better, you don't meet the requirements.

But if you meant "since GCSE", what grade did you get?

There is a lot of maths in an economics course. Therefore you should enjoy maths and be good at it to study at uni.
Reply 9
Original post by Petrue
I'm not currently at uni (I'm the same year as you) but I yes, I am doing Maths A-level. At my uni open day the head of department says they'll have two groups (A&B) with the B group being taught calculus etc and the A group storming ahead with the other modules. This may be different at Surrey but, seeing as you need A*AA to get onto the course (if you haven't done maths A-level) and if you're hoping to get grades that good then I'm sure you'll be fine with the maths :smile:

That's reassuring lol thanks! What uni have you firmed?
Reply 10
That's reassuring lol thanks! What uni have you firmed?

University of Kent. It wasn't my first choice, but by choosing it I have access to free accommodation after my first year so I thought it better to save myself a couple of G's opposed to going elsewhere!
Reply 11
Original post by chazwomaq
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/economics

So if you haven't got a maths GCSE with A or better, you don't meet the requirements.

But if you meant "since GCSE", what grade did you get?

There is a lot of maths in an economics course. Therefore you should enjoy maths and be good at it to study at uni.

Got an A in GCSE maths. Yeah I heard there is a lot of maths and I'm hoping not to fall back on my course. Just abit worried that I may not understand the maths or it may be too hard for me lol :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Petrue
University of Kent. It wasn't my first choice, but by choosing it I have access to free accommodation after my first year so I thought it better to save myself a couple of G's opposed to going elsewhere!

I was thinking of applying to Kent but I just really enjoyed the atmosphere in Surrey and liked the location. Good luck with your results bro! All the best:smile:
Reply 13
I was thinking of applying to Kent but I just really enjoyed the atmosphere in Surrey and liked the location. Good luck with your results bro! All the best:smile:

Yeah I'm not quite smart enough for Surrey haha Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending