The Student Room Group

Work experience

Hello there, i was wondering im situated in London and want to become a software developer, its a tough job but apparently you learn on the job which hopefully makes it a lot easier but i want to get work experience as it is invaluable during the summer, i cant seem to find any online can anyone help me please
Reply 1
Be proactive. Go to your local business parks, see what companies are there. Then either ask at reception to speak to a HR person or an IT manager and ask if they'd be happy to take you on for work experience. Failing that, you could find their phone number and ask over the phone. I'd recommend talking to people in person. HR people are looking for talented and passionate people to take on all the time. It's their job. Even if they can't offer you anything, they may just refer you to other companies or simply open up future opportunities. Networking is very important.

If it's just work experience then I'm sure many companies wouldn't mind having you around, even just to fix a few bugs or do some pair-programming with the seniors to see how they work.

Original post by K3lvin
apparently you learn on the job which hopefully makes it a lot easier

This is a profession that requires career long learning. You'll need to get into the habit of self study and relying on yourself rather than others to teach you - there's only so many hours your colleagues can hold your hand
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by NX172
Be proactive. Go to your local business parks, see what companies are there. Then either ask at reception to speak to a HR person or an IT manager and ask if they'd be happy to take you on for work experience. Failing that, you could find their phone number and ask over the phone. I'd recommend talking to people in person. HR people are looking for talented and passionate people to take on all the time. It's their job. Even if they can't offer you anything, they may just refer you to other companies or simply open up future opportunities. Networking is very important.

If it's just work experience then I'm sure many companies wouldn't mind having you around, even just to fix a few bugs or do some pair-programming with the seniors to see how they work.

This is a profession that requires career long learning. You'll need to get into the habit of self study and relying on yourself rather than others to teach you - there's only so many hours your colleagues can hold your hand

are you a software developer by any chance

Quick Reply