Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    am just 25, holding two master degree (finance and trade), my career goal is investment banking. am doing my second degree (trade) thesis now, and already started as a finance assistant in a firm, i want to jump into investment banking industry, but all banks 2005 recurting programs are closed, what should i do? i realy want to get started now. do i have some alternative way to get into the industry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidCarpent)
    am just 25, holding two master degree (finance and trade), my career goal is investment banking. am doing my second degree (trade) thesis now, and already started as a finance assistant in a firm, i want to jump into investment banking industry, but all banks 2005 recurting programs are closed, what should i do? i realy want to get started now. do i have some alternative way to get into the industry?
    2005 recurting programs? Lol mate idk what you're smoking but its killing your brain cells.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think you mean 2015, not 2005.

If you mean 2005, I'll pay you quite a bit of money so I can relive 2005 again :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're either dyslexic or writing your post on a smart phone, the first thing you need to do is improve your written English (and I'm not just talking about the spelling mistakes or lack of capitals). In my firm, we talk about making small changes to make a big difference; you should try and become the best in everything you do if you want to work in investment banking (front or back office) and you can start by making your writing clear and easy to understand at all times.

Beyond that, other posters have reliably informed me that you really need to be working for a target university (I don't know them all but Imperial and the LSE are often mentioned). Although I don't advocate university snobbery this makes sense to me because the content of MSc Finance degrees at target universities do tend to be distinguisable from the rest. It's hard to state this in a clear cut way, but as a rule of thumb they are more quantitative (to add further context, I work in financial regulation, a much more qualitative topic, and these degrees would be useless to me as they don't tend to offer many units in financial regulation. In contrast, other university's finance degrees do. These top institutions instead tend to offer separate degrees for my needs, for example the LSE's MSc Regulation).

If you haven't worked for a target university, then I'd recommend your next step is to complete the CFA if you want to work in the Front Office.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.