Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What sort of work experience is needed to put in my UCAS application for medicine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm aspiring to pursuit my dream into going into med school, As you know med schools are very demanding, so I've been doing various activities to get my UCAS application to the best it can be. I've recently been reading to infant school kids once every friday during school for nearly a year, I'm also shadowing and volunteering in a pharmacist and also starting to volunteer in a care home!

Also I'm really intrigued to do stuff abroad and I've recently seen this website which takes volunteers to Morocco! Most of them require you to be 18, but i found this morocco one which cost £200 plus £90 return flight! here is what you do

Monday
    Morning : Visit street kids centre in Marrakesh
    Afternoon : Outdoor games at orphanage in Marrakesh
    Tuesday
    11am until 4pm : street kids project south of Marrakesh
    Wednesday
    Morning : Baby orphanage
    Afternoon : Boys orphanage
    Thursday
    Morning : Downs Syndrome community project
    Afternoon : Taking children swimming or visit to street kids project in Marrakesh
    Friday
    Day Off to relax, shop or take a tour
    Saturday
    Day Off to relax, shop or do a camel trek in the desert
    Sunday
    Morning : Buy and help prepare meals for the homeless or relax -

by doing this will uni look upon me volunteering in Morocco, or will it be a waste of time? I really want to do, but my parents are paying half of this and are only doing so if it helps with medicine and i don't want to waste their money as i'll feel guilty!

ReputationRep:
    Moving this to the medicine forum.

ReputationRep:
    I think volunteering abroad will make you stand out but it really isn't necessary.

Work experience and volunteering in hospitals, gps, care homes in the UK are all you really need.

ReputationRep:
    You could try a website called projects abroad as they do 2 week specials for kids 16 to 19 and they have medicine projects you can take around all different countries in the summer holidays! I'm planning to go to one after year 11 finishes and they look great! But they aren't compulsory in order to get into a med school they are just extra experience, however, you should ensure that you have got good experience in the uk because if you are hoping to become a doctor you should probably try to get some experience with the nhs health care! Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Volunteering abroad is totally unnecessary.
    Some work experience in the NHS is useful.

You need two types of work experience for medicine:
    1. long-term regular work experience - such as 2 hours a week for 1-2 years in a care setting e.g. care home/hospice/community hospital.
    2. Shorter-term shadowing doctors (1+ weeks), ideally in specialities that interest you, but ultimately in whatever you can get. The easiest type to get is shadowing doctors as you can write directly to numerous surgeries rather than braving the NHS red tape.

Gaining work experience by your own effort rather than by paying for it always looks better to med schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    Volunteering abroad is totally unnecessary.
    Some work experience in the NHS is useful.

You need two types of work experience for medicine:
    1. long-term regular work experience - such as 2 hours a week for 1-2 years in a care setting e.g. care home/hospice/community hospital.
    2. Shorter-term shadowing doctors (1+ weeks), ideally in specialities that interest you, but ultimately in whatever you can get. The easiest type to get is shadowing doctors as you can write directly to numerous surgeries rather than braving the NHS red tape.

Gaining work experience by your own effort rather than by paying for it always looks better to med schools.
    You can definitely do both! Don't count off work experience abroad completely, it's not just work experience, it's an amazing opportunity that will change your life and you will learn about a whole new culture and be able to explore another country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger-lily15)
    You can definitely do both! Don't count off work experience abroad completely, it's not just work experience, it's an amazing opportunity that will change your life and you will learn about a whole new culture and be able to explore another country!
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing or that OP shouldn't do it, but it shouldn't substitute for either of the types of work experience I mentioned above as without both of those you will be disadvantaged against applicants who have done them. The long-term work experience is particularly important as it shows commitment and a realistic outlook that medicine is not glamorous.

WE abroad is excellent as long as it is alongside other WE.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.