Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you were a manager how would you play? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thought this would be a cool thing to do. Ok so in this order set it out:

- Formation
    - Playing Style (e.g possession/counter attack etc.)
    - Positions (e.g DM/CM)
    - Role of each position (explain what the role of the CM for example would be in your team- would it be a DLP, a B2B?)

You can also make a "dream team" if you want of people in football who you feel would be suited to the role you want them to perform in your team. Will edit and do mine later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4-3-3. I think I'd try and get them playing a high intensity kind of game with a focus on high fitness, pressing and quick transitions from defence to attack. Would want to see 12km running stats regularly from most forward players so no Mesut Ozils and no Berbatovs! Pacey counter attacking wingers, 2 beastly B2B CMs, high lines and relentless pressing. Would also try and find the dirtiest, strongest Italian CBs I could find for proper old school defending. Maybe something like BVB.

ReputationRep:
    Formation:

I'd be using 4231,442 holding,433,532,352/3511 mostly 4231

Playing Style- short passing and a slight on wingplay.Very High tempo.Pressing when off the ball.

Postions

GK
    RB CB CB LB

CM-Ball winner CM-box to box with great passing

RM/RAM CAM LM/LAM

ST-must be a target man/complete foward-cant be one dimensional

my rb/lb/rm/lm have to be versatile and be able to play well on each flank-no room for one dimensional wingers unless they are WC.

ReputationRep:
    Will play 4-2-2-2 or 4-3-3(3 strikers not two wingers and a forward) and make the formations as narrow as possible.

Get wing backs on the overlap when we're in possession, if we playing against the run of play counter through the middle.

High pressing as well, don't want the other team to play their game and would like to turn the game into an aggressive game with little chance creation from either side but fast tempo passing. Kinda like Atlético.

ReputationRep:
    I'd try and get a couple of speedy and hard working Full-Backs and turn them into Wing-Backs in a 3-5-2 so you can pack the middle of the park without losing width. If I couldn't find players good enough to play the wing-back roll effectively then I'd go 4-5-1 with 2 wingers supporting the Centre Forward.

ReputationRep:
    4 4 ****ING 2

Little and large combo up front, big target man to knock it down to the little fella with good feet.

PASHUN in the midfield. I'm thinking Steve Sidwell, Scotty Parkah, Lee ****ing Cattermole.

Fullbacks not needed in the attacking half, that's what the ****ing midfield's for.

Regards,

Fat Sam.

ReputationRep:
    433 in the defensive, Jose Chelsea style.

Boring as **** football.

Counter attack.

Centre forward and two wingers up front, the wingers drop back out of possession to form a 451 formation in defence. If we're really under the cosh, they drop back as wing backs to make a 631 formation.

One CAM, two box to box cm's. CAM=CM in defence.

ReputationRep:
    On second thoughts, perhaps this:

ReputationRep:
    Attacking lineup:
    Neuer (Sweeper Keeper)
    Lahm (Wing Back) - Thiago Silva (Ball Playing Defender) - Vertonghen (Ball Playing Defender) - Alba (Wing Back)
    Gerrard (Regista)
    Xavi (Regista) - Yaya Touré (Box To Box Midfielder)
    Jesús Navas (Winger) - Messi (Trequartista) - Iniesta (Advanced Playmaker)

This formation is possession-based, playing patient football with counter-attacks when necessary. Lahm and Alba play as Wing Backs and bomb on, so Gerrard and Xavi drop back just in front of the defence. Touré, Iniesta and Messi given Free Roles.

Defensive lineup:
    Neuer (Goalkeeper)
    Lahm (Full Back) - Thiago Silva (Central Defender) - Kompany (Central Defender) - Alba (Full Back)
    Javi Martínez (Ball-Winning Midfielder) - Xavi (Regista)
    Jesús Navas (Winger) - Yaya Touré (Box To Box Midfielder) - Pedro (Defensive Winger)
    Messi (Complete Forward)

The emphasis is still on possession, although it is much more disciplined and cautious. Martínez protects the defence, Touré harries the opposition midfielders while Xavi sprays long passes towards Navas and Messi for them to run onto for counter-attacks. Pedro tracks back to help Alba deal with the opposition winger.

ReputationRep:
    I would assemble a team of super big guys, with one small tricky guy to win corners and set pieces. Launch it into the mixer and hope for 1-0. I mean, if we're talking real life, what else are we supposed to do? This aint FM, in reality none of us would know how to properly train a bunch of professional footballers, or properly setup a team for anything sophisticated. There aint a bunch of sliders you move around to organise tactics

ReputationRep:
    Mandanda
    Richards Zouma K.Toure
    Y.Toure Matuidi Pogba Diaby
    Drogba Adebayor Lukaku

ReputationRep:
    4-5-1 reverse Christmas tree ofc

counter attack which a brutal muscle man as the striker

ReputationRep:
    It completely depends on what players I have and what league I'm in. If I was in England, I'd go for something along the lines of;

Formation: 5-2-3 (in possession) and 5-4-1 (not in possession).

- The goalkeeper must be a big lad that can kick-long. No fancy acrobatic ****.

- The full-backs would be restricted to staying in their own half. None of this modern day wing-back malarkey. I want them blocking crosses and minimising the space along the back line. They simply have to stop the opposition wingers from playing football.

- I would have two centre-backs that can play a good long ball. The longer, the better. They must be physically strong and over 6ft2. The uglier, the better. They must like a strong tackle. I don't care about how well they can pass. After all, their job is to defend, the midfielders can take care of the passing. They must be lethal in the air, as they will both be up for the corners. One of the CB will be drawn to the opposition CAM, whereas the other will man-mark the striker.

- My third center-back would be a sweeper - he is always the last man. This guy recovers any ball that is knocked over the other two CB's. He would also be the captain. He would be a huge inspiration. When we're drawing 0-0 at HT, he will be the one to scream 'Let's keep it tight!'.

- One of my CM's must be energetic. I want him running constantly. He doesn't have to be fancy, he just has to be willing. I want him intercepting and breaking up play. He will make a living out of tactical fouls.

- My other CM would be a complete-midfielder. If we're losing, he would turn into a deep-lying playmaker. He would spray the balls out to the wingers. If we're drawing, he's a CDM. He tackles and spends most of the time helping the CB's out. This lad would take the free-kicks.

- I would have two defensive wingers. Their first job is to track-back and restrict the space in our own half. Therefore, they must have a bit of pace and good stamina. It's crucial that they can cross. If they can't cross, they're on the transfer list. Simple.

- The danger-man. The big lad. The 'target-man'. You guessed it, my CF is going to be a lazy target-man. I don't want him running unless it's to stay on-side or get on the end of a looping cross. This guy must be vicious in the air. His technical ability is meaningless in my system. If he does his job, he shouldn't need to use his feet.

- Extra's; No fancy boots - this isn't Real Madrid. No hair gel - this isn't Arsenal. No commercial activities - this isn't Manchester United.

I would have eight practice sessions a week.

- Six of them would focusing on crossing and corners. 90% of our goals will come from these.

- One of them would focus on closing space and zonal marking.

- The final session would consist of penalties and free-kicks. This is where the other 10% of our goals come from.

- I would wear a track-suit with a clipboard in one hand and a stopwatch around my neck. In the post-match conferences, I would slate the referee for sending my CB off for a two-footed leg-breaker challenge.

My message to players would be this;

"On average, a team needs 37 points to survive relegation. Our aim is to play for a draw in every game. 38 draws = 38 points = avoid relegation".

My ideal team;

Begovic
    Huth
    Bardsley Vidic Samba Wilson
    Milner Adams Ramires Park
    Carroll

ReputationRep:
    a 4-3-3 with really pacy wingers and a clinical striker. Midfield will have a mixture of pace and technique, with more emphasis on technique. Attacking midfielder would ideally be pacy too. The pressing will be relatively aggressive too

Aggressive defenders too.

The team will have the ability to play both quick-possession football as well as lethal counter attacking against stronger opposition.

Basically, Real Madrid's setup which I think has the perfect balance of both.

ReputationRep:
    Two forwards.

A big ugly ball winner to put himself about, knock the CBs about and make space: Look no further than Fellaini.

A goal hanging one touch finisher in the Lineker mould eg Klose or similar.

Long balls from the back so four big lads who give it long.

And all my teams have the GOAT Adnan Januzaj adding a bit of class, pleasing the sponsors and exciting the pundits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    It completely depends on what players I have and what league I'm in. If I was in England, I'd go for something along the lines of;

Formation: 5-2-3 (in possession) and 5-4-1 (not in possession).

- The goalkeeper must be a big lad that can kick-long. No fancy acrobatic ****.

- The full-backs would be restricted to staying in their own half. None of this modern day wing-back malarkey. I want them blocking crosses and minimising the space along the back line. They simply have to stop the opposition wingers from playing football.

- I would have two centre-backs that can play a good long ball. The longer, the better. They must be physically strong and over 6ft2. The uglier, the better. They must like a strong tackle. I don't care about how well they can pass. After all, their job is to defend, the midfielders can take care of the passing. They must be lethal in the air, as they will both be up for the corners. One of the CB will be drawn to the opposition CAM, whereas the other will man-mark the striker.

- My third center-back would be a sweeper - he is always the last man. This guy recovers any ball that is knocked over the other two CB's. He would also be the captain. He would be a huge inspiration. When we're drawing 0-0 at HT, he will be the one to scream 'Let's keep it tight!'.

- One of my CM's must be energetic. I want him running constantly. He doesn't have to be fancy, he just has to be willing. I want him intercepting and breaking up play. He will make a living out of tactical fouls.

- My other CM would be a complete-midfielder. If we're losing, he would turn into a deep-lying playmaker. He would spray the balls out to the wingers. If we're drawing, he's a CDM. He tackles and spends most of the time helping the CB's out. This lad would take the free-kicks.

- I would have two defensive wingers. Their first job is to track-back and restrict the space in our own half. Therefore, they must have a bit of pace and good stamina. It's crucial that they can cross. If they can't cross, they're on the transfer list. Simple.

- The danger-man. The big lad. The 'target-man'. You guessed it, my CF is going to be a lazy target-man. I don't want him running unless it's to stay on-side or get on the end of a looping cross. This guy must be vicious in the air. His technical ability is meaningless in my system. If he does his job, he shouldn't need to use his feet.

- Extra's; No fancy boots - this isn't Real Madrid. No hair gel - this isn't Arsenal. No commercial activities - this isn't Manchester United.

I would have eight practice sessions a week.

- Six of them would focusing on crossing and corners. 90% of our goals will come from these.

- One of them would focus on closing space and zonal marking.

- The final session would consist of penalties and free-kicks. This is where the other 10% of our goals come from.

- I would wear a track-suit with a clipboard in one hand and a stopwatch around my neck. In the post-match conferences, I would slate the referee for sending my CB off for a two-footed leg-breaker challenge.

My message to players would be this;

"On average, a team needs 37 points to survive relegation. Our aim is to play for a draw in every game. 38 draws = 38 points = avoid relegation".

My ideal team;

Begovic
    Huth
    Bardsley Vidic Samba Wilson
    Milner Adams Ramires Park
    Carroll
    Oh hey there, Davey Moyes.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    lol wow.

I'm gon' keep it simple with a 4-3-3 :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    x
    PRSOM. Good post.

ReputationRep:
    4-2-3-1 ala Rafa Benitez

Solid at the back and good on the counter.

Defence would press and push out the opposition to the halfway line before dropping back.

The midfield trio should be Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard from 2009/2010. Just needed better defenders and wingers.

ReputationRep:
    0-10-0

Team would be Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Pirlo, Scholes, Alonso, Busquets, Kroos, Schweinsteiger and Mata.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 25, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.