Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why aren't GCSE and A-level students given more feedback on exams? Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    If coursework for GCSEs and A-levels is scrapped as intended, how can GCSE and A-level students get more quality feedback?

I've always wondered why students never see exam scripts again unless requested.

Would it cost the state much money for students, from subjects ranging from English and History to Maths and Science, to get quality feedback from examiners to show clearly where they went wrong and the mistakes they made...

ReputationRep:
    I think that's the role of teachers (throughout the two years of the course), not really the role of examiners who just see a snapshot performance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't stop there.

I was given no feedback for my dissertation - I just got a mark. I managed to get what I wanted in terms of a mark, but if I was going onto a Masters (which I didn't end up doing due to financial cost) I'd have liked some tips on how to strengthen my research.

ReputationRep:
    That's the role of your supervisor, surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    Would it cost the state much money for students, from subjects ranging from English and History to Maths and Science, to get quality feedback from examiners to show clearly where they went wrong and the mistakes they made...
    Yes, it would increase the cost significantly (and a medium sized school already spends well over £100,000 a year on exam fees). Since many people drop subjects after taking the exam it would also be of limited value. As a previous poster has said, it feedback is the job of teachers rather than examiners.

p.s. great name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    If coursework for GCSEs and A-levels is scrapped as intended, how can GCSE and A-level students get more quality feedback?

I've always wondered why students never see exam scripts again unless requested.

To what end?

These qualifications are summative not formative.

As you point out students can get copies of their paper if that matters to them for further study.

Also, detailed feedback in some subjects (certainly maths) is available free of charge for GCSE (Edexcel and AQA).

ReputationRep:
    The exam system is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    When so many of the exams are just a test of whether you've learned the material or not, I don't see what the point would be in 'feedback'...

'You see questions 5a, 5b, 5c and 5d? Yeah, you didn't even look at that bit of the textbook, did you?'

ReputationRep:
    If you think about it, it would cost schools a lot of money (perhaps money they do not have at their disposal) and if, in the end, the feedback proves worthless for the majority of students because they made a silly mistake, they didn't revise or a number of different circumstances, that's a lot of money gone down the drain.

The idea is great though, getting feedback so students know how to progress, however I think that it wouldn't be funded well and would end up being useless if most students come out of the exam having a rough idea of how they did and where they went wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.