Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always been super skinny and active about a year ago. I've put on two stone in the space of a year, but I don't think I'm 'fat' and I don't think a stranger would class me as 'overweight' if they saw me.

Should I be bothered by this?

ReputationRep:
    I'll bite you to help you out. :yum:

ReputationRep:
    BMI doesn't consider muscle which weighs more than fat so it's inaccurate as a measuring tool. I wouldn't worry about it if you're active and eating healthily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The vampire)
    BMI doesn't consider muscle which weighs more than fat so it's inaccurate as a measuring tool. I wouldn't worry about it if you're active and eating healthily.
    It's only inaccurate if you have a significant amount of muscle. If OP has always been super skinny and doesn't lift weights regularly she doesn't

(Original post by ldsbabe)
    I've always been super skinny and active about a year ago. I've put on two stone in the space of a year, but I don't think I'm 'fat' and I don't think a stranger would class me as 'overweight' if they saw me.

Should I be bothered by this?
    Personally, I would be bothered if I put on two stone, but these things vary massively from person to person.. My advice: make sure you're exercising daily, and eat right. If you're doing that you've got no reason to be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    Can you get a scale which measures BFP (body fat percentage)? They're quite cheap from Argos or some gyms have them. That can be a better measure

However, unless you lift weights or do some kind of muscle building activity as StrangeBanana says, BMI probably is an accurate measure. Maybe go and see your GP and ask them to check? They often have BFP scales too x

ReputationRep:
    nope, dont let it bother you...often BMI is completely wrong, as it doesnt consider a wide variety of other factors

ReputationRep:
    My BMI says I'm overweight but I have barely an ounce of fat on me

Doesnt account for muscle etc, and some people just have bigger frame without being fat

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.