Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we as society use less swear words? Watch

ReputationRep:

So this family is demonstrating that each swear word that pop culture makes would hurt us emotionally by getting shot with paint ball guns.

I personally think is okay to swear if you bumped your leg into a pole.
    However, its not okay in day to day conversations. IMO.

So what do you guys think, should be use less swear word to benefits our kids(they would learn them eventually) and teach them better expressions instead of the F words, b words, etc... ???

ReputationRep:
    Nah, **** that.

^Originality right there, folks.

I try not to swear.

ReputationRep:
      Imagine the bruises after that...

And pfft, if we use euphemisms instead in the exact context swear words, pretty soon they'll become the swear words. We did that in my primary school and then we ended up banned for saying the word "salami"

ReputationRep:
      Nah, I think people are just too sensitive these days.

ReputationRep:
      **** no

ReputationRep:
      People should just lighten up it's only a swear word, as long as they're not reeling swear words of like nobody's business I don't really see the issue

ReputationRep:
      No

They're just words

I find people who are against swearing really prudish and they need to lighten up

I swear when I need/want to
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      They're just words. If they found use them homophobicly, racistly, sexist etc. then it is fine. Unless they have diarrhoea of the mouth.

ReputationRep:
      I try not to swear in day to day conversation as I work with children, so if I am used to swearing all the time with friends, I am more likely to accidentally do so in front of children.

I think that if people have something to say, then as far as possible they should refrain from swearing BECAUSE a lot of others, especially those in authority will stop listening to you and start reprimanding you if you use swear words- for example when talking to police or teachers.

Swear words are just words in my opinion, but there is usually a better way to describe what you mean. For example if you are called a C*nt, it could mean a variety of things. I'd think it's a nasty person, an evil person, a kitten killer, etc. This is considered a lot worse than being called a D*ck, but depending on how much the person swears both insults could be different levels of insulting, and it's never really clear.

I think it has definitely got worse in society, for example if I swear when talking to an older generation they are likely to be more shocked than when I am talking to my peers, and if children keep learning that it's more and more acceptable, it'll be used more and more.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.