Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    I just decided to withdraw from my uni course and am a bit confused what qualifications I have now and how to check if I have the 'entry requirements' for other courses.

    A little background; I've just completed my 2nd year of Psych and Counselling, but am withdrawing from the course now for many personal reasons. I do want to continue my education, but in another course. However, I was on university websites the other day and I was looking at the entry requirements and I got confused as to which bit I have to look at now. Whether to still go by my highers, or whether my qualifications were updated in any way.

    So I e-mailed my uni and they told me that at this point I am awarded a certificate of higher education (or a diploma of higher education if I pass with resits).

    Okay now with my Certificate or diploma, still, how can I tell whether I have the entry requirements for another course? Where would that say? I only see like grades for highers or advanced highers. Just in case, I am looking to start from the first year, not any direct entry to 2nd year or 3rd year.

    I am asking especially because I noticed something annoying. I was looking at a specific university course where the minimum entry requirements at HIGHERS were: BBBB, whereas I have ABBC. To get around this, I thought maybe the certificate/diploma or whether the fact that I've completed 2 years of university would bring it up in any way and allow me to still be considered.

    I really hope someone can help:confused:

    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

    What you have is equivalent to eitger an HNC or an HND. Both are higher level than A levels/highers.

    To know whether a uni will take your certhe/diphe for entry you will need to hassle each uni directly for answers. In theory it supersedes your pre-uni qualifications but sometimes a uni won't take it if the subject is too different.

    Ditto what PQ says, but I will also note that depending on how radical the subject change is that you want to make, you may like to have a look at a top up course, whcih will take you from DipHE to BA in one year.
    • Thread Starter

    Thanks so much guys! That's really helpful
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.