Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Dear Adviser,

    My parents work for the United Nations. They were both recruited from the UK and are UK nationals. Their official home address is in the UK and they, and I, are required as part of their contract to return to the UK each year. I was born in the UK and have a UK passport.

    Because their work is exclusively overseas (the UK tends not to need emergency food aid), I have spent most of my life studying overseas.

    I returned to the UK 2 years ago, spent a gap year working and started university.

    I applied for a student loan, and after supplying all the information they asked for, letters from my parent's employers, statements from the UN saying that it is part of their job to change countries every few years, my parent's contracts. Statements from my parents, etc. etc. After 8 months of this back and forth they finally sent me a letter saying that my application was refused as I did not satisfy the 3 years living in the UK rule.

    My argument is that the work my parents do is exactly like members of the armed forces or diplomatic corps, in that travel is a part of their job - and because my parents did not want to abandon me in a boarding school in the UK - they put me into schools in other (mostly non EU) countries.

    Could it be the case that in situations where parents work for the armed forces, the diplomatic corps or the United Nations the 3 year rule can be waived?

    I cannot be the only person this has ever happened to.

    Many thanks in advance.
    • Official TSR Representative


    If your parents were in the armed forces it could have been something we take into consideration regarding breaks in residency. However as they are not, your only remaining option would be to appeal the decision. You can submit an appeal outlining the reasons why you think you should be granted funding to the following address: [email protected]

    You will receive a response within 15 working days.

  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.