Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (TLDR; Quit previous PhD and possibly looking at reapplying. Just looking for others with advice on this situation)

Hey guys,

Sorry if this topic is an overdone one on here.

Basically, I had begun a Chemistry PhD at a decent university, with a renowned supervisor and in an interesting topic. So was all excited.

Fast forward about 7 months. Still at said uni, met some great people and the like, but I was growing to dislike my PhD. A lot of things weren't working, I wasn't getting on with my supervisor in any sense and struggling to keep up with their demand on progress, despite putting in 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week. Things got pretty low and so I quit my PhD and luckily managed to find a job in a related field.

Whilst I'm happy at my job at the moment, I know I want to go back to another PhD say 2 years down the line. My main concern and so why I'm here, is to find out if others had similar issues (which I'm sure there are people out there) and how they presented them? Were you honest about not getting on with supervisor and such? I just worry about this in interviews and the like, in case I come across as being trouble or difficult to work with. Also for referees, did you include them or not?

Sorry for the long and slightly woeful post. Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumj24)
    The longer you wait, the easier it will be.
    The more different your research second time around, the easier it will be.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best PhD students did exactly this. He'd quit a PhD a couple of years previously and came back a couple of years later (to the same department and university) for his second bite at the cherry. His interview was basically one question "Will you stick it out this time?". He did and completed a very good PhD inside the time.

Just be completely honest but don't lay on the 'I didn't get on with the supervisor" too thick- it can make you sound like a prima donna. "It wasn't what I was expecting and I decided it was better to walk away than pretend to myself and my supervisor, but now I have reflected and decided it is really what I want to do" might sound better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cora Lindsay)
    One of my best PhD students did exactly this. He'd quit a PhD a couple of years previously and came back a couple of years later (to the same department and university) for his second bite at the cherry. His interview was basically one question "Will you stick it out this time?". He did and completed a very good PhD inside the time.

Just be completely honest but don't lay on the 'I didn't get on with the supervisor" too thick- it can make you sound like a prima donna. "It wasn't what I was expecting and I decided it was better to walk away than pretend to myself and my supervisor, but now I have reflected and decided it is really what I want to do" might sound better.
    Thanks Cora, good to hear from a supervisor themselves.

I agree with the not laying it on thick, guess was just being a bit dramatic in the explanation.

If it's not being too nosey or such, did they use a reference from their previous supervisor? I'm just not sure I will get the best reference from my previous supervisor, but think it will look too suspicious on my CV or application without the chance to properly explain (ie. before interview).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    The longer you wait, the easier it will be.
    The more different your research second time around, the easier it will be.

I agree. I'm wanting a break to regain some confidence and also be a bit more financially stable. Plus, actual work experience seems like a plus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.