Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Duplicate Accounts Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got banned from a forum once, but I waited the ban out, which really wasn't a big deal.
    You can therefore understand why I find it confusing that people make 10s of accounts just to avoid short bans. You run the risk of getting permabanned and of being branded untrustworthy by other members - it's such a dumb thing to do!

Can we discuss the pros (if there are any at all ) and cons of making alts ITT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dire wolf)
    I got banned from a forum once, but I waited the ban out, which really wasn't a big deal.
    You can therefore understand why I find it confusing that people make 10s of accounts just to avoid short bans. You run the risk of getting permabanned and of being branded untrustworthy by other members - it's such a dumb thing to do!

In this world of instant noodles, ready meals and next day delivery, people simply just do not have the patience to wait out a week-long exclusion.

ReputationRep:
    Pros
    People can't recognise you (anonymity)
    You could ask questions you don't want to ask on your normal account

Cons
    You could get ban extended
    It's pretty pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    It's pretty pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Especially when they reply to themselves. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    lol I don't think anyone cares what other people they've never met on the internet before think though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand people that make dupes :indiff: it makes me suspicious of who's who :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dire wolf)

dat patience doe

(Original post by Arithmeticae)
    Pros
    People can't recognise you (anonymity)
    You could ask questions you don't want to ask on your normal account

Cons
    You could get ban extended
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is about right :yep:

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lol I don't think anyone cares what other people they've never met on the internet before think though.
    And this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeceitfulDove)
    I don't understand people that make dupes :indiff: it makes me suspicious of who's who :eyeball:
    I have one myself Mainly for pure anonymity, ie: outside of H&R

Though if youre banned,and using dupes (even if within the rules), expect to get your ban extended

ReputationRep:
    If I got banned I would make one without a doubt. And it would be so obviously me that I'd probably get more bans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    This

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    If I got banned I would make one without a doubt. And it would be so obviously me that I'd probably get more bans.
    Last time I got banned I made a new account to ***** about how I was banned for a bit. Then just left for a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I have one myself Mainly for pure anonymity, ie: outside of H&R

Though if youre banned,and using dupes (even if within the rules), expect to get your ban extended
    Is that allowed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    Is that allowed?
    Yup. SO long as I use the account as I use this one - well of course I dont get mod privileges with that one

ReputationRep:
    Yup. SO long as I use the account as I use this one - well of course I dont get mod privileges with that one
    Can I do that?

ReputationRep:
    Can I do that?
    Course - so long as you dont rule break

ReputationRep:
    Looool, majmuh created an alt account. Now it's called arethmetcae loooool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever accidentally carded your own alt thinking they broke the rules.
    Or even IP banning them .. that would have been funny to explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'veGotAHadron)
    Have you ever accidentally carded your own alt thinking they broke the rules.
    Or even IP banning them .. that would have been funny to explain
    No because I've never broken the rules with it... Also, SL's are aware any way. I only have the one dupe account

ReputationRep:
    Course - so long as you dont rule break
    Nice

Am I allowed to troll on that acc :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Nice

Am I allowed to troll on that acc :teehee:
    Nope! Cos that'd be rule breaking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.