Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Learning the Viola after the Violin? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am 17 and have recently passed my Grade 6 violin. I have been wondering whether it would be easy(ish) for me to pick up the viola to a good enough standard in a year, so when I leave home I can play for fun? I know they are completely different clefwise but surely there are some similarities between them? Any advice/ opinions would be welcome thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyLil)
    Hello, I am 17 and have recently passed my Grade 6 violin. I have been wondering whether it would be easy(ish) for me to pick up the viola to a good enough standard in a year, so when I leave home I can play for fun? I know they are completely different clefwise but surely there are some similarities between them? Any advice/ opinions would be welcome thanks
    I play flute as my main instrument along with piano, and can play guitar, ukulele and viola... I can't play violin, but randomly decided to buy a viola 2 years ago and teach myself to play.. Within a matter of months I was good enough to play at my church. I would assume it would be easier to pick up if you can already play violin(?) but I found it easy enough to learn to play in alto clef hope this helps at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah Bethany)
    I play flute as my main instrument along with piano, and can play guitar, ukulele and viola... I can't play violin, but randomly decided to buy a viola 2 years ago and teach myself to play.. Within a matter of months I was good enough to play at my church. I would assume it would be easier to pick up if you can already play violin(?) but I found it easy enough to learn to play in alto clef hope this helps at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you That has been really helpful I am planning on looking into it a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    I moved on to viola after diploma violin (violin is still my main instrument though) and I did grade 8 viola and then diploma about a month or so ago. It is very easy to pick up but for some reason learning alto clef made me really weak on bass clef, Not that I need it anyway!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.