Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have accepted a place in Oxford for a PGCE starting in September but have yet to choose a college or accommodation.

Is a car particularly useful for a PGCE or convenient in Oxford?
    If I can't get university accommodation where in Oxford is good to live for a PGCE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roisinc123)
    I have accepted a place in Oxford for a PGCE starting in September but have yet to choose a college or accommodation.

If I can't get university accommodation where in Oxford is good to live for a PGCE?
    I didn't do my PGCE at Oxford but can comment on the general usefulness of a car during the PGCE, and also vague knowledge of Oxford from visiting.

In Oxford itself you don't need a car, and it's pretty hard to drive through the town centre itself (I've done so as a passenger before and it wasn't pleasant - when I've visited friends there I've used Park and Ride).

PGCE placements could be much further out and a car might be useful. I know people who did their PGCE at Oxford Brookes and they had cars.

If you have a car, you're likely to get placements that need a car to get to. If you don't have a car, the university will make sure you can get to your placements by public transport.

Personally, it was great for me to get in the car and have a bit of time driving when I could do any work but could either empty my mind a bit or reflect on the day. Other people say spending 30 minutes on a train (for example) was helpful as they got work done there, but it depends on how you work - I know I'd've done nothing other than snack and stare out of the window if I'd had to use public transport.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm also starting a PGCE fat Oxford in September! I asked at interview where the placements are and apparently they are all relatively close to Oxford and a bike would be sufficient, however I've heard that the bus service is pretty good from a friend who lives just outside of Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roisinc123)

Hi I know this is a bit random as your post is nearly a year old but could I be nosey and ask when you accepted your place at Oxford? I only ask because I was invited to an interview in December but had to withdraw my application due to a change in circumstances but I've just been able to reinstate it and so I applied again to Oxford this week in apply 2. So basically I'm just wondering if anyone has been accepted/interviewed this late in the year! Thanks and I hope your PGCE is going well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.