Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The question is to determine the range of z for which the series (1 + sin n)^n *(z^n) is convergent.

I perform the ratio test and calculate |an| ^(1/n) = (1 + sin n) |z|

From this I deduce the limit superior of (1+ sin n) to be 2 and therefore the series should be absolutely convergent if |z|<0.5.

However the answer given says the series is absolutely convergent if |z| < 1.

Where is my mistake, or is the given answer wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takeonme79)
    The question is to determine the range of z for which the series (1 + sin n)^n *(z^n) is convergent.

You mean the root test?

From this I deduce the limit superior of (1+ sin n) to be 2 and therefore the series should be absolutely convergent if |z|<0.5.

I can't see any problem with what you've written, but I'm not the world's greatest analyst.

I couldn't see how to check it with Wolfram Alpha, but I'd guess that it's possible.

(BTW, it'd be easier to read what you've written if you use latex)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    You mean the root test?

I can't see any problem with what you've written, but I'm not the world's greatest analyst.

I couldn't see how to check it with Wolfram Alpha, but I'd guess that it's possible.

(BTW, it'd be easier to read what you've written if you use latex)
    You're right, I did mean the root test. I have to learn Latex some day, never got round to doing it so far.

I'm fairly sure I'm right about my answer as I've used a calculator to calculate the sum of the first 100 and 500 terms if z=0.9 and that seems to diverge.

ReputationRep:

You have not provided a series. Why don't you write the question in an unambiguous and accurate way and then ask for help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    You have not provided a series. Why don't you write the question in an unambiguous and accurate way and then ask for help?
    I didn't think that "the series (1 + sin n)^n *(z^n) was that ambiguous myself.

To make sure we're talking about the same series, I'm assuming the exact series is:

\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty (1+ \sin n)^n z^n,

in which case I agree that it doesn't converge for |z| > 1/2, since \limsup |1+\sin n| = 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I didn't think that "the series (1 + sin n)^n *(z^n) was that ambiguous myself.

]
    Of course, but 99% of the time when someone has an answer different to the given one it is because they have misread or misunderstood the question. I've been guilty of it enough times myself to know that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.