Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is your budget?
    £2500
    What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Commuting to work (internship)
    How many passenger will you usually be carrying?
    How big a boot do you need?
    Any size
    Specific tasks you will be doing?
    moving gear about/traveling on motorway home occasionaly
    Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
    Anything reliable would be great. Don't mind generally.
    What features in the car are important to you?
    Was looking to spend about £1000 on car and £1500 on insurance, I'm 21 and have just passed. I'm also working at a placement year away from university.

The only things I want from a car:

- Cheap to buy
    This makes me think and older car

- Cheap to insure
    This makes me think a saloon or uncool car rather than a hot hatch so that I'm not coupled with boy racers (read this on 'Car Insurance: What you need to know.' thread)

- Reliability
    This is obviously determined by the car brand/driving style and how many miles it has done. Lower miles would be preferable.

- Boot
    really don't mind about this if it's going to affect the other things above, but just out of convenience a larger boot would help for moving about the place (back to uni etc)
    What gearbox do you want?
    Manual
    Are aesthetics of the car important?
    No
    Special requirements?
    none
    What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

ReputationRep:
    Look for a Mk2 Ford Mondeo.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest a Peugeot 307, Vauxhall Astra, VW Golf? All cars that have good space and shouldn't be too much to insure. Maybe something like this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01407115741331

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would suggest a Toyota Yaris mk1, they are very reliable and will easily do 50mpg. They are good to drive, mine is 15 years old and i've never had a problem with it. Also one of the cheapest cars to insure with the 1 Litre engine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.