International development masters after psychology undergrad Watch

psych.grad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hiya I have just graduated with a 2:1 in a psychology and criminal degree from Keele University and have decided that I would like to do a masters next year. I had previously been set on a career in social work, but I am beginning to look a bit more into slightly different careers away from my undergrad degree. I have come across international development and would be interested in studying the MA gender and international development at Warwick university, but was just wondering on people's opinions on how much of a struggle it would be to do an international development masters without having studied it before? It would be quite a leap from psychology and criminology so would appreciate some insight from international development students

I was also wondering on people's opinions on how easy it would be to get a career in international development with a gender focus as gender equality is an interest of mine.

Thanks a lot
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First off, MSc Development Studies is an inter-disciplinary degree at most unis and one does not need to study DEV as BA. But most unis welcome relevant social science subjects: I have met DEV students with BA in Econ, Politics, law, history, social ant, business, education and Mod Languages. Your LOR and SOP will count.

Look at some courses at your target uni plus reading list. When in doubt, contact programme manager. Why Warwick's MA gender and international development? Did you visit?

It may be challenging to get a matching job with your interest straight after uni, you may need to compromise. Some first jobs in DEV with NGOs are as project assistant or researcher on 6 month contract with possible renewal. DEV people don't make big bucks, so you need to factor in your debt borrowing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.16%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.81%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.68%

Watched Threads