Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

International development masters after psychology undergrad Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I have just graduated with a 2:1 in a psychology and criminal degree from Keele University and have decided that I would like to do a masters next year. I had previously been set on a career in social work, but I am beginning to look a bit more into slightly different careers away from my undergrad degree. I have come across international development and would be interested in studying the MA gender and international development at Warwick university, but was just wondering on people's opinions on how much of a struggle it would be to do an international development masters without having studied it before? It would be quite a leap from psychology and criminology so would appreciate some insight from international development students

I was also wondering on people's opinions on how easy it would be to get a career in international development with a gender focus as gender equality is an interest of mine.

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    First off, MSc Development Studies is an inter-disciplinary degree at most unis and one does not need to study DEV as BA. But most unis welcome relevant social science subjects: I have met DEV students with BA in Econ, Politics, law, history, social ant, business, education and Mod Languages. Your LOR and SOP will count.

Look at some courses at your target uni plus reading list. When in doubt, contact programme manager. Why Warwick's MA gender and international development? Did you visit?

It may be challenging to get a matching job with your interest straight after uni, you may need to compromise. Some first jobs in DEV with NGOs are as project assistant or researcher on 6 month contract with possible renewal. DEV people don't make big bucks, so you need to factor in your debt borrowing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.