Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my university course, and got a 2:2, but I got a 2:1 in every subject but one which involved an exam, a horrible exam, in which 33 out of 39 students failed. This has given me an average of 59%. The trouble is this subject is not what I want to do, and has nothing to do with anything I am applying for.

Has anyone any advice how to explain this to companies? I am scared this I really going to hold me back

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't dwell on it itself - just highlight where appropriate (like your CV) the related modules that you did well in, you can also provide your % on your CV if you like. It's quite common to include a grade for a final year project, where it actually ends up being higher than the overall classification. Take the attention away by drawing on the positives, and useful parts.

A lot of employers won't care how close you were etc. it will just seem like you're making excuses so i'd avoid voluntary talking about it. Basically, if you get to an interview then they've seen your grade and evidently decided they could deal with it or are willing to give you a chance if your other competencies are what they're looking for. Obviously, if they ask because it's a concern for them then just gotta sell yourself - and highlight you've done well in the related areas again. I know the feeling, I have firsts over most of my modules...and a low 2:2 which is just dragging me below the boundary.

It's the filters that will catch you out, if they ditch anything below a 2:1 - but with online submissions it's not something you can plead to.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the big places are online application which worries me, I do have a few contacts in power generation, and other engineering sectors, so hopefully I may get somewhere with that.

ReputationRep:
    You plan on applying for a job with a 2:2 in an irrelevant subject? Oh wow, good luck. You might get lucky maybe?? I mean even if you had a 2:2 in a subject that's bang on with the job you're going for you'd be very, very hard-pressed to sell yourself enough to get the job. With a 2:2 in an irrelevant subject, you might as well start playing the lottery - the odds of success in both are roughly the same. You can't put "Almost a 2:1" on your CV, and "2:2 but I can explain!!" is just as bad. Don't you realise every student who failed has some kind of story to explain, and that they're all like yours i.e. not taking any responsibility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RioFantastic)
    Don't you realise every student who failed has some kind of story to explain, and that they're all like yours i.e. not taking any responsibility?
    Sometimes it is annoying though when you do well in every other area. I don't have an honours degree my degree was vocational so I don't know but can't you retake a module if you pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RioFantastic)
    You plan on applying for a job with a 2:2 in an irrelevant subject? Oh wow, good luck. You might get lucky maybe?? I mean even if you had a 2:2 in a subject that's bang on with the job you're going for you'd be very, very hard-pressed to sell yourself enough to get the job. With a 2:2 in an irrelevant subject, you might as well start playing the lottery - the odds of success in both are roughly the same. You can't put "Almost a 2:1" on your CV, and "2:2 but I can explain!!" is just as bad. Don't you realise every student who failed has some kind of story to explain, and that they're all like yours i.e. not taking any responsibility?
    When did i say i was applying for a job what had nothing to do what i was doing? I just said the subject that brought my average down was compulsary but something i don’t want to do!! Im not making excuses, tbh i hated the course (like the subject, but was run badly), i would have been ok with 40%, but the fact i was so close annoyed me. From what ive read, most of the company's ive been looking at accept a 2:2. So im not upset about it anymore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.