The Student Room Group

How to get a First-Class Honour?

How difficult is it to get first class?
I am going to be a fresher and would be doing a Economics and politics course. I am already reading my prerequisite list of books now. I am also very hard working.

So how difficult is it?
Original post by FashionFirst
How difficult is it to get first class?
I am going to be a fresher and would be doing a Economics and politics course. I am already reading my prerequisite list of books now. I am also very hard working.

So how difficult is it?

Challenging, it will stretch you. Reading widely, and more importantly, well will be absolutely necessary if you want to graduate with a first. There are many resources online that can help you to improve your reading skills. I don't just mean speed, that's pointless without comprehension. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING! Seriously, don't. If you google some stuff you'll find resources produced by universities fairly quickly.

You must work consistently from first year in order to build a deep understanding of your disciplines. This however, is only one part. You must, and I cannot stress this highly enough, work on your writing. Not only spelling, grammar and punctuation but your style, tone and use of language. I have so many highly intelligent course mates that didn't get firsts this year because their writing is weak.

Quick Reply

Latest