Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduate - Want to go travelling but money is an issue Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've just graduated with 2:1 in biomedical science. I want to go travelling as I haven't had the opportunity yet. I have plans to go Interrailing around Europe in September for two weeks, but I've worked out I'm going to need about a grand in total.

I am really starting to worry noe that I may have to completely forget about travelling and go into a career of sorts.

But the trouble is again, though I loved my course, I don't know what career I want. Its gone from pathology, which I worked in last summer and no longer want to do, to journalism, to pharmaceuticals, and now to business intelligence/research in a similar field.

I'll be honest with you all, I feel completely lost for the first time in my life, and it seems that every plan I come up with is totally flawed.

Any of your opinions on my situation would be really appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you can't afford it, don't go travelling. Simple as that.

If you get a job you can take two weeks' holiday and go Interrailing then,

ReputationRep:
    Blunt but fair, I think that is what I'm going to do at the moment.

Is anyone aware of any paid jobs abroad? Literally anywhere? Asia, Europe, America?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could look into work abroad programs like BUNAC or Camp America. Some pay a small amount, some just put you up for free while you work for them.2

I have a friend who did some fairly menial work for a few months and then worked in hostels abroad to fund her gap year. I'll ask her what she thinks.

ReputationRep:
      Work for six months, then go travelling for six months.

Or look to travel to locations where you can get work for a short period. Ski resorts in the winter or bar work in beach resorts in the summer.

ReputationRep:
      Guys, the OP doesn't want to go large scale travelling - 'I want to go Interrailing around Europe for around two weeks.'

You can easily fit that into holiday from a job.

ReputationRep:
      Get a job and think about a career . Maybe 4 year graduate medicine course ? You can get a grand easily after working for 2-3 months or take a loan from a friend and then go inter railing . Maybe after the traveling you would be a new person and not lost .

A grand is nothing big to ask from a family member or friend , if you want to travel that much .

My 2 Laari .

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
      Are you working at the moment? If you're currently unemployed, you don't necessarily need to embark on a career yet, nothing's stopping you from taking a month of 60-hour weeks in a factory to earn the money, going interrailing to your heart's content and perhaps coming home with a clearer mind.

In terms of paid jobs abroad, teaching English is the safe option, they pay at least enough to support yourself. Quite popular around Asia. I can't recommend any particular providers but I imagine there are lots of review sites.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Porter Justice)
      Hi all,

I've just graduated with 2:1 in biomedical science. I want to go travelling as I haven't had the opportunity yet. I have plans to go Interrailing around Europe in September for two weeks, but I've worked out I'm going to need about a grand in total.

I am really starting to worry noe that I may have to completely forget about travelling and go into a career of sorts.

But the trouble is again, though I loved my course, I don't know what career I want. Its gone from pathology, which I worked in last summer and no longer want to do, to journalism, to pharmaceuticals, and now to business intelligence/research in a similar field.

I'll be honest with you all, I feel completely lost for the first time in my life, and it seems that every plan I come up with is totally flawed.

Any of your opinions on my situation would be really appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      http://bit.ly/1nZJHLT With Student Universe you would be able to win a free trip with three friends

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blackacre)
      I have a friend who did some fairly menial work for a few months and then worked in hostels abroad to fund her gap year. I'll ask her what she thinks.
      As RibenaRockstar said, it's only two weeks, which isn't really travelling, it's a holiday. Get a proper job, save up, and then book some annual leave. You'll probably get 28 days per year of annual leave, and two weeks travelling will only take up 10 days of leave.

If you wanted to go travelling more long term you could get a working holiday visa in Australia, but that's the sort of thing you'd do for something closer to a year's worth of travelling, picking up some grunt work along the way to top your funds up. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1868026

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
        As RibenaRockstar said, it's only two weeks, which isn't really travelling, it's a holiday. Get a proper job, save up, and then book some annual leave. You'll probably get 28 days per year of annual leave, and two weeks travelling will only take up 10 days of leave.

If you wanted to go travelling more long term you could get a working holiday visa in Australia, but that's the sort of thing you'd do for something closer to a year's worth of travelling, picking up some grunt work along the way to top your funds up. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1868026
        Yeah, the OP talks about interrailing, but in a subsequent post (4?) asks about Asia etc., so I thought you'd be a good person to ask since you've gone further afield! Ta.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Porter Justice)
        Hi all,

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Do what I did.

Apply to McDonalds on their Trainee Manager scheme.

Work 6 months and use the cash to fund travel.

McDs will pay you an OK Graduate level salary.

Alternatively get a job in your chosen profession and bin it after 6 Months

If you have access to plenty of credit.. use it .. then go bankrupt...You have years to sort out any issues and you are only young once.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.