Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First day of my apprenticeships, went well but worried about social life Watch

ReputationRep:
    The first day of my apprenticeship (I'm 17) went very well, I really enjoyed the job in IT but I'm worried about my social life, I really wanted to make new friends as I found my sixth form very clingy and refused to make new friends as they all made there friendship groups in year 7, my issue is I don't want to be lonely and really wanted to make new friends. The issue is there is only 2 other members of staff aged over 40. I need some ideas on how to make new friends, I just don't know what I can do to do this? I am quite a nervous person.

ReputationRep:
    Just make chit chat with them in the staffroom etc, even if you're nervous just smile at people and look approachable and the chances are people will make an effort with you - especially if they know you're new, they will expect you to be nervous! I'm feeling the same, I start my first 'proper' (i.e. not sales advisor/part time) job a week on Monday and I get the most nervous feeling in my stomach when I think about meeting all these new people but it's just part of life unfortunately haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patsyjenx)
    Just make chit chat with them in the staffroom etc, even if you're nervous just smile at people and look approachable and the chances are people will make an effort with you - especially if they know you're new, they will expect you to be nervous! I'm feeling the same, I start my first 'proper' (i.e. not sales advisor/part time) job a week on Monday and I get the most nervous feeling in my stomach when I think about meeting all these new people but it's just part of life unfortunately haha
    Because there is only sometimes me and the manager, I just worry I wont make any friends with my own age-group.

ReputationRep:
    Join a sports club, make friends that way.

ReputationRep:
    When I first started my apprenticeship there were 5 partners, all over 50. I got on with them so well. Wouldn't say we were friends but we went out for drinks and stuff.
    You're always going to be in a varied age range situation in the work place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    When I first started my apprenticeship there were 5 partners, all over 50. I got on with them so well. Wouldn't say we were friends but we went out for drinks and stuff.
    You're always going to be in a varied age range situation in the work place.
    How did you make friends of your age-group? ect

ReputationRep:
    What you're doing wrong is trying to choose people in the work place for their age. Everyone in work are usually around different ages, so just try to be friends with people you feel are nice, whether they're 18 or 50. At the end of the day, you work with all these people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.