Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quick and easy food to make at uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can make quickly, and easily at uni. I am a vegetarian and don't eat eggs or fish and not too keen on pasta and spaghetti . Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can make quickly, and easily at uni. I am a vegetarian and don't eat eggs or fish and not too keen on pasta and spaghetti . Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Stir frys are easy, cheap and tasty. You can do them with lots of veggeis and some tofu if you want protein. Or quorn.

I often do stir frys, curries(Just with pastes/chopped tomatoes), pastas or Meat and chips but the last option doesn't work without the meat unless you like quorn/tofu blocks?

ReputationRep:
    Lentils and chickpea are easy to make. +lots of veggies

ReputationRep:
    Sweet potato wedges/ chips. Just cut up a sweet potato into chip like sizes. Boil on the hob until you can put a fork through the pieces easily. Drain it add some oil and seasoning such as salt and rosemary (what I use) then cook in the oven to your preferred golden goodness. Yum.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Any particular reason they need to be quick and easy? As a student you have plenty of time to cook especially if you get together with housemates and take it in turns to cook for one another. I know I developed my cooking skills loads as a student because I had more time and because I could cook whatever I wanted to eat, not whatever my parents gave me.

Some suggestions:

-Jacket potatoes - not actually quick in terms of time, but very little of your time. Bung them in the oven then go away and come back when they're done.

-Stir fries, as others have said. You can even buy packs of pre-sliced mixed vegetables which aren't too expensive. I'd boil a block of noodles (4 minutes) whilst frying the veg, then add the noodles to the veg with a bought sauce. An easy way to add protein is to throw in a handful of cashew nuts, but obviously you can also use Quorn or tofu.

-Tips for cooking tofu (assuming you're buying a plain block of firm tofu, eg: Cauldron).
    • Wrap in kitchen towel and sandwich between 2 plates for a while to press moisture out.
    • Chop into cubes and marinate (eg: soy + honey + five spice).
    • Fry in a decent amount of oil without moving too much - you don't want to scramble it.

-Vegetable curry - use sweet potato, tinned chickpeas and something green (courgette, spinach?) in a sauce made from Pataks curry paste, chopped tomatoes and creamed coconut (the block stuff from the world foods aisle is cheap and lasts ages).

-Roast veg and (veggie) sausages - again, takes a while but you don't have to do anything during most of that time. Chop a load of veg (sweet potato/butternut squash, red onion, courgettes, peppers, etc.) and put them in a roasting tin with olive oil. Add some sausages if you like and roast until everything is cooked. As an alternative, skip the sausages and crumble in some feta cheese towards the end.

-If you don't like pasta much but would like to be able to do things like veggie bolognese, have you tried gnocchi? You get them in the pasta aisle but they are little dumplings made of potatoes and a 500g pack is 70p in Tesco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Any particular reason they need to be quick and easy? As a student you have plenty of time to cook especially if you get together with housemates and take it in turns to cook for one another. I know I developed my cooking skills loads as a student because I had more time and because I could cook whatever I wanted to eat, not whatever my parents gave me.

Some suggestions:

-Jacket potatoes - not actually quick in terms of time, but very little of your time. Bung them in the oven then go away and come back when they're done.

-Stir fries, as others have said. You can even buy packs of pre-sliced mixed vegetables which aren't too expensive. I'd boil a block of noodles (4 minutes) whilst frying the veg, then add the noodles to the veg with a bought sauce. An easy way to add protein is to throw in a handful of cashew nuts, but obviously you can also use Quorn or tofu.

-Tips for cooking tofu (assuming you're buying a plain block of firm tofu, eg: Cauldron).
    • Wrap in kitchen towel and sandwich between 2 plates for a while to press moisture out.
    • Chop into cubes and marinate (eg: soy + honey + five spice).
    • Fry in a decent amount of oil without moving too much - you don't want to scramble it.

-Vegetable curry - use sweet potato, tinned chickpeas and something green (courgette, spinach?) in a sauce made from Pataks curry paste, chopped tomatoes and creamed coconut (the block stuff from the world foods aisle is cheap and lasts ages).

-Roast veg and (veggie) sausages - again, takes a while but you don't have to do anything during most of that time. Chop a load of veg (sweet potato/butternut squash, red onion, courgettes, peppers, etc.) and put them in a roasting tin with olive oil. Add some sausages if you like and roast until everything is cooked. As an alternative, skip the sausages and crumble in some feta cheese towards the end.

-If you don't like pasta much but would like to be able to do things like veggie bolognese, have you tried gnocchi? You get them in the pasta aisle but they are little dumplings made of potatoes and a 500g pack is 70p in Tesco.

Thanks that is great. I will give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foodirl)
    Lentils and chickpea are easy to make. +lots of veggies

That sounds good. Do you have a receipe for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Stir frys are easy, cheap and tasty. You can do them with lots of veggeis and some tofu if you want protein. Or quorn.

I often do stir frys, curries(Just with pastes/chopped tomatoes), pastas or Meat and chips but the last option doesn't work without the meat unless you like quorn/tofu blocks?
    Which is healthier, tofu or quorn?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Wh...what, what are you going to eat?

Having been a student for 3 years, I'm 109% sure no other food exists in the world outside of the things you listed as not liking. I mean super noodles is a food group...

ReputationRep:
    Cous cous with sauce. I tend to make a tomato sauce and chuck in vegetables/tuna/olives/chickpeas etc., but it works with whatever. You can make it in a big batch and chill/freeze it, and it's incredibly economical. You can also cook the cous cous in stock to give more flavour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That sounds good. Do you have a receipe for this?
    It's not a dish I just suggested that you could prepare lentills(red lentills are my favourite) or chickpea and then add steamed or fried veggies.

you can also eay vegan tortillas with a salad inside

or spring rolls made of rice paper and veggies.

I also love eating broccoli with tomatoes and tofu +garlic dressing

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. I'm not a veggie. I think quorn do mince and fake bacon etc whereas tofu is a lump...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tofu, Quorn is really bad for you, it's processed junk food, full of additives.
    Quorn is made of fungus...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

buy a george foreman grill.
    buy what ever vege you like. chop it up. grill it. serve on couscous.
    easy

easier than pasta is gnocchi. potato dumpling pasta.

boil it. it floats tot he top when its done.
    you can also fry it with cashew nuts, spinach and tomatoes or what ever you like.

tell you what i do some times. its lazy. but hey who cares. buy a bag of salad, chuck some olive oil and balsamic vinigar in. shake the bag. eat from the bag. healthy snack.

another qucikie which is good is pizza toast.
    toast your bread.
    spread tomato puree on like its butter.
    cheese of your choice.
    and if ur feeling fancy chuck some oregano and black pepper on top
    or anything else like olives if you like. its all good.

if you don't mind deep frying things.
    check out agedashi tofu. thats nice.

or fried bread fruit.

you can grill it but its not as nice.

bread fruit is GORGEOUS.

its like a really light fluffy parsnip or potato.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.