Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Please forgive me for asking this question about a course at a completely unrelated university... However, I wanted to get a completely unbiased opinion...

Also, apologies if I have posted this twice, as I only just realised the first post was in the wrong place!!.....

I have a friend who has recently been thrown off her nursing degree, the same week as she was due to graduate after 3 years of studying.

She regularly had placement on wards at the hospital and was required to fill in a time sheet and get a more senior member of staff to sign it at the end of the shift (to confirm she attended). At some point since handing in this time sheet, the ward sister has gone through the time sheet and signatures and claims that a particular shift had not been completed and that my friend had falsified a signature... All because the ward sister does not recognise the signature. I know for a fact that my friend completed the shift, although she cannot remember the specific person that signed the time sheet, something that is very common due to the amount of people she worked with.

This issue was raised by the ward sister to the student governance board, who subsequently deliberated the claim and decided against my friend. She was not even given a chance to defend herself not was she allowed a copy of the time sheet for her own evidential records.

Obviously, my friend is beside herself and feels like the last 3 years have been for nothing. Apparently, once a decision like this has been made, it is impossible for you to appeal and you can no longer study at the university, even on any unrelated courses... She has effectively been expelled. This really does not sound fair to me and the process in which the decision has been made seems entirely flawed, especially given her glowing character references, great course work and obvious innocence. She was even willing to not only retake that particular module, but even retake the entire year to get her nursing degree, as this is all she has ever wanted to do. But the university refused point blank.

I just wanted to ask if there is anything that anyone could suggest she tries to have the decision overturned, or at least have the consequences reduced. She has really worked hard to get this far and would be such a shame if there really was absolutely nothing she could do.

Thanks for any advice.

Alex
    (A caring friend of Gemma)

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.