Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In aspects such as: difficulty, interest, workload, amount of practicals, enjoyable etc?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spelly456)
    In aspects such as: difficulty, interest, workload, amount of practicals, enjoyable etc?
    I did AS chemistry and A2 physics (as well as maths and further a2!)

The content is a lot more interesting.

Amount of practicals will depend on your school/college, but you have to do some assessed practical work.

Very much enjoyable. I really enjoyed A2 physics! I found AS chemistry difficult but I still enjoyed learning it.

Difficulty is subjective. I found chemistry really hard and physics a lot easier, but some people might disagree!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Obviously they're more difficult - they're A Levels! But because they're more difficult, they're also more enjoyable. You're learning real science, rather than learning reaction conditions off by heart.

ReputationRep:
    There's far more application of knowledge, what I mean is you will use your understanding on practicals and 'how science works' question. The questions aren't as straight forward like in GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I was beginning to get a bit fed up of the rote learning which is mainly what the IGCSE sciences involve and so just wanted some opinions on the A Levels. I'm glad that you learn "real science" in them :cool:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    There's far more application of knowledge, what I mean is you will use your understanding on practicals and 'how science works' question. The questions aren't as straight forward like in GCSE.
    Surely that makes you think more and so is more enjoyable, rather than essentially just being a parrot?

ReputationRep:
    Surely that makes you think more and so is more enjoyable, rather than essentially just being a parrot?
    I never stated it as a bad thing... but there are some unrelated questions they ask you, which sounds a bit stupid and require common sense but are usually the hardest question on the paper. those are the bad bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I never stated it as a bad thing... but there are some unrelated questions they ask you, which sounds a bit stupid and require common sense but are usually the hardest question on the paper. those are the bad bits.
    I know you didn't say that, I was just asking a question. I guess they could get frustrating at times but it's just part of doing science. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.