Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to study and concentrate wiht a mental disorder? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a mental disorder. It means I quickly lose my temper over silly things, I can't concentrate, I need to stick to a routine and if I don't know something I just ask and ask.

In year 7 we did tests to see which sets were were put into. I was in set 2 and when I found out I was so annoyed I threw the test paper back at the teacher and shouted. Come the January retest I was moved up a set and became happier.

GCSE's came around and I struggled greatly to concentrate. I managed to do them but on results day had to pick up the envelope off the floor in an empty room just in case I lashed out.

I've got better over the years but A-levels were hell. I couldn't concentrate on any subject without taking a break every 10 minutes. Exam time was surprisingly ok so I'm hopeful come results.

In September I start university and I'm terrified of studying for a degree when I struggled with GCSEs. How do I manage? How do I manage with lectures and keeping track in them? What are seminars and how do I cope? It's like I could knock a pencil on the floor and get so annoyed that I need to go and smash something to pieces just to release my frustration at everything not being perfect. I can't do that in a lecture.

I've received counseling but it doesn't really help.

ReputationRep:
    What is the mental disorder you have, if you don't mind me asking? I could help you a bit more if I knew which one it is. You can private message me if you'd rather.

When you say you received counseling, do you mean you went to your doctor and had a referral from him/her? I ask because a counselor won't be able to help with an actual mental disorder; rather a psychologist is the person that'd be best.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have Aspergers..?
    I do and am sitting GCSEs in September..very scared Im disorganised, and if I dont like the teacher I cant be bothered to study, even if it is a subject Im good at.
    Im throwing GCSE's away...and I cant stop, I get so angry I have asked for a punchbag for my birthday.
    Any tips on coping welcome...Im guessing at least at Uni you are only studying a subject you like....not all the crap ones you HAVE to do at GCSE
    Sophie

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this will help with your studies as I did my GCSEs this year and I may not have the same disorder as you. I have Asperger's.

I have a very short attention span so I created a routine where I study for 40 minutes and have a 20 minute break and repeat that until my studying is finished. And I use a handy app called Evernote on my laptop and phone where I record all my upcoming events and small details that I need to remember. It has helped me a lot with my organisation because everything's in one place.

For your anger, have you thought about attending martial arts classes?

OP, have you thought about a note taker for your lectures?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.