Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help, anyone got good social skills? how to get this person to be friendly again? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted opinions on this as I'm really thick when it comes to people lol

Im female in my twenties and go to a sports club and my old instructor used to be friendly towards me and ask how I've been etc. I've always been very quiet/shy but he always came over asking what I'd been up to He started ignoring me though lately and just walks past. Last year when i walked past once (he was talking to someone) he said i was ignoring him and that i had walked past without saying hello. I think maybe he dislikes that I don't talk much. Once he walked towards me and I said 'hi you ok' and he said 'what are you doing speaking first' and then had a conversation.

Another time he was asking about a girl who is good at sport and I said she's brilliant but didn't say a word when I trained with her. He said 'she didn't say a word did she not, did you say anything to her' I said 'no' he said 'well that's your fault for not making the effort'.

He sort of seems to act different towards me now as though he doesn't like me. How can I get him to perk up as I used to enjoy chatting with him, or should I just accept that he has changed? I have tried asking how he is but he seems to always wait for me to speak first now.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if he's condescending then i'd just move on. However, if you enjoy talking to this person and the 'what are you doing speaking first' rubbish isn't there then just start a casual conversation. Just very basic, small talk.

Then as you notice that he's a little more comfortable and starting conversations with you, then take conversations a little deeper.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanNab)
    Well, if he's condescending then i'd just move on. However, if you enjoy talking to this person and the 'what are you doing speaking first' rubbish isn't there then just start a casual conversation. Just very basic, small talk.

Then as you notice that he's a little more comfortable and starting conversations with you, then take conversations a little deeper.

Good luck
    Thanks I could try that.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with good social skills

ReputationRep:
    He's probably found sex elsewhere so his interest has diminished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashingChap)
    He's probably found sex elsewhere so his interest has diminished.
    Are men that needy lol. Nah it's nothing to do with sex :/

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? Maybe he used to initiate conversations when you were younger, but felt like you should be making more of an effort as you got older. If you want to talk to him then talk to him, it shouldn't matter if you have to be the first one to talk every time. The best way to get him to be friendly to you is to be friendly to him, which means showing an interest in talking to him. Don't be nervous and start waiting for him to show an interest before you get your confidence in your friendship back, your nervousness only breeds nervousness on his part as well, but your confidence will nurture his.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    How old are you? Maybe he used to initiate conversations when you were younger, but felt like you should be making more of an effort as you got older. If you want to talk to him then talk to him, it shouldn't matter if you have to be the first one to talk every time. The best way to get him to be friendly to you is to be friendly to him, which means showing an interest in talking to him. Don't be nervous and start waiting for him to show an interest before you get your confidence in your friendship back, your nervousness only breeds nervousness on his part as well, but your confidence will nurture his.
    Ok thanks I'm in my twenties haha but I've never been a talker and always get everything wrong socially. Comes natural to most but yea I should make more of an effort even though I come across as weird/too formal when I do. I come across as very unfriendly and people often say that they think I don't like them but really I just want to be friends :/ I'm fine with some people if they can accept that I'm quiet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.