Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Implications of brain damage on culpability Watch

ReputationRep:
    Say someone commits some wrong or even crime, but suffers brain damage/brain deterioration after the incident. Would you still consider them as culpable - even to the extent of total memory loss, degenerative disease or even completely transforming their personality? I'm talking both in your legal and ethical opinions.

I leave the seriousness of the offence and degree of brain damage/disease deliberately open for you to decide your own limits, if any.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say that they are not themselves anymore if their sense of self or their consciousnesses is no longer the same and can't therefore be punished for the crime they committed as their previous self. But then I thought about the victim, they would want justice in the form of punishment/incarceration for crime perpetrator (I'm assuming something that affects a victim physically/emotionally and not like a bank robbery). However, if the brain damage results in paralysis of the body and brain as in they become unconscious/unaware totally and are merely physical bodies in a wheelchair staring at the wall then obviously it would be stupid to want to punish them because there is no 'one' to punish - only a physical body. However if the brain damage is like retardation or mild retardation or even, results in mental illnesses like schizophrenia and personality disorders then they should be sectioned in a mental incarceration facility where they receive their time punishment and also their medicine for their illness although this too is weird because even when their sentence time does finish they would still remain there for health reasons I assume or be moved to a lower security facility.

I am no lawyer so I will be interested to see what others have to say. The above is just my opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.