Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im running windows 8.1 on my laptop (less than a year old), and reading online there are certain wifi issues with it already.

However one issue it that i get the message 'no internet access' randomly and frequently when using my laptop. I also get many disconections and have to reconnect it manually again (despite it being set on connect automatically).
    [The internet works with other devices such as my phone when this happens and in same location]

I bought a wifi usb adaptor to try and sort this out, so far it has stopped the random disconnects but i still get the 'no internet access message' randomly. But as soon as i switched to using my laptop inbuilt wifi card and removed the usb wifi adaptor internet worked fine.

Any ideas about this?

This has happened more than once with the usb wifi adaptor

ReputationRep:
    Certain brands of computers running Windows are really iffy at Wifi connections. You can replace the widget which does it quite cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    Certain brands of computers running Windows are really iffy at Wifi connections. You can replace the widget which does it quite cheaply.
    what do you mean by widget?

i already bought a new wifi usb adaptor and that doesnt seem to have fixed the problem

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried to check for updates on the network adapter?

Furthermore, resetting the TCP/IP stack might be of some use..
    To reset the TCP/IP stack, open CMD (Command Prompt) with elevated privileges and enter in the following - netsh int ip reset

I had an issue similar to this a couple of years back.

If neither of these seem to fix your issue, then feel free to ask for more advice, although someone will probably have alternative suggestions that will most likely work
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Could be all sorts of things but typically I'd be checking these possible problems first of all:

-First check the signal is strong. If you've only got one bar of signal on the desktop (I assume 8.1 has the same icon as 7 which is what I use) then your computer may be too far away from the router.
    -Have you tried turning it off and on again? (Both computer and router)
    -Are the wireless card drivers up to date?

Beyond that I lack the technical knowledge to be any use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    im running windows 8.1 on my laptop (less than a year old), and reading online there are certain wifi issues with it already.

However one issue it that i get the message 'no internet access' randomly and frequently when using my laptop. I also get many disconections and have to reconnect it manually again (despite it being set on connect automatically).
    [The internet works with other devices such as my phone when this happens and in same location]

I bought a wifi usb adaptor to try and sort this out, so far it has stopped the random disconnects but i still get the 'no internet access message' randomly. But as soon as i switched to using my laptop inbuilt wifi card and removed the usb wifi adaptor internet worked fine.

Any ideas about this?

This has happened more than once with the usb wifi adaptor
    Update your drivers, the programs which run the different parts inside, check the manufacturers website and check your laptop and its download section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Update your drivers, the programs which run the different parts inside, check the manufacturers website and check your laptop and its download section

(Original post by Manitude)
    Could be all sorts of things but typically I'd be checking these possible problems first of all:

-First check the signal is strong. If you've only got one bar of signal on the desktop (I assume 8.1 has the same icon as 7 which is what I use) then your computer may be too far away from the router.
    -Have you tried turning it off and on again? (Both computer and router)
    -Are the wireless card drivers up to date?

Beyond that I lack the technical knowledge to be any use.
    All drivers etc are up to date, the signal is fine

The problem with the usb wifi adaptor is when i turn my laptop on it works fine for the first 5 minutes, then it says no internet acess, and will remain like this no matter what such as removing and reinserting the adaptor.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.