Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently have my own kodak ESP 5200 and was wondering which would be cheaper for a 3/4 year course-this or university printing facilities? And why?

I don't know which university i would like to apply to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I use the printers at university and spend far less over a year in costs than people do buying printers, paper and ink. It's just more convenient buying a printer but not necessarily cheaper. It depends on how often you print and what type of degree you're doing. I don't do an essay based subject so I haven't had to use the printers too often, just mainly for lecture notes. Someone who needs to print off work more often than not would probably be better off buying their own printer.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends which uni you go to. I go to the university of Kent and every year they give you £5 worth of printing credits for free. I think each side of black and white that you print costs 5p and colour is 25p??? But then if you want the convenience of having your own printer and being able to print out loads without it costing as much then take your own printer, especially if you own one already.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much uni charges you for printing. I find my uni quite expensive for printing and find it cheaper and more convenient to have my own printer. We don't get any free printer credits either.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much printing charges are + how much you're likely to print. I do animal science so we don't have too many essays or anything and all I print is coursework so I managed fine on the university allowance. However two of my housemates print every lecture out to write on and I know this has ended up costing them nearly £100 for the year. So in that case they're own printer would probably have been cheaper.
    We've decided to invest in a "house" printer for next year and share the cost of inks and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At my Uni we get £10 each year. It costs 10p black and white and 25p colour. It's 5p to photocopy. I printed all of my lecture slides out and seminar tasks out for all six of my modules and I would say it lasted two thirds of my year. I then had to add about £4 for printing of my assessment work.

It would have coat me a lot more for buying a printer, paper and ink.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.