Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First counselling appointment - scared Watch

Hello,

I recently have been told i have a counselling appointment next thursday after being on the waiting list for months.

I know it'll be good for me to go and speak about problems but I'm feeling really anxious about it.

I'm scared I'll go and there will be other people there I know and I'm also just scared that I don't really know what's going to happen.

I don't suppose anyone could share first experiences of it? Is it as bad as I imagine it? Does anyone regret going to it that went?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's great that you're finally at the top of the waiting list! Don't let your fear stop you from making the most of this opportunity. I wouldn't worry about seeing people you know there - that would mean they're there too so you're both in the same boat, although with the number of appointments these kind of places have I think it's pretty unlikely you'd see anyone you know. The counselor will likely try to get a bit of background information from you at your first appointment and they'll also probably want to know what brings you there. Nothing to be afraid of. And remember, these people do this day in day out, you won't surprise them and if you don't know what to say they're usually pretty good at helping you open up too.

I saw a counselor at uni and while she couldn't actually really help me I don't regret going because it's always good to try everything possible to get over what you're going through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello,

I recently have been told i have a counselling appointment next thursday after being on the waiting list for months.

I know it'll be good for me to go and speak about problems but I'm feeling really anxious about it.

I'm scared I'll go and there will be other people there I know and I'm also just scared that I don't really know what's going to happen.

I don't suppose anyone could share first experiences of it? Is it as bad as I imagine it? Does anyone regret going to it that went?

Thanks
    Hi, first of all I'd like to say well done for taking this opportunity.
    Secondly, if you think there will be people there you know then what is the problem? They are there for their problems too. Everyone has problems. Don't feel inferior or anything because they like you are in the same boat.

When i went for my first counselling session i didn't know how it worked. What most counsellors do is, they will start of by asking you how you feel. They let you lead the way, they dont push questions on to you, getting information out of you. It is all decided by you, the pace of how things are going, what you are actually talking about etc.

Try your best not to hold back or be reluctant in telling them what is on your mind. I mean of course youre going to be nervous and shy, because that is normal. For me personally, it took me about 3 sessions where i finally felt comfortable and that's when i actually addressed my 'real, true problems'. Remember everything you say will be kept confidential, what is said in the room stays in the room. It is nothing scary and definitely nothing to be worried about.

Any more questions you may have, feel free to ask! I wish you luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thanks
    Pretty much everything has been said by the helpful advice by the two people above but I'll post my experience too.

First of all, for the reasons you are going to the counceller for, I wouldn't worry about seeing people you know there, mental health issues are common these days and it takes a strong person to ask for help.

I only went to two sessions and I was very nervous on my first appointment, just like you are. I was sat down in a waiting room on my own and I was greeted by my counceller in private who was very calm and made me feel at home at all times.

Just remember that your counceller is not there to "push" information out of you, but slowly works WITH you to be comfortable enough to find out why certain things are happening with your mental health. On my first session, he made me understand WHY my body was reacting the way it was and explained in scientific terms what was actually happening.

Fortunately for me, I was ready to talk straight from the get go (You are not required too, you can take your time and at your own pace), so we pinpointed the reasons for my mental health problems and those two sessions allowed me to understand my body/mind a hell of a lot more and take control, I didn't need any more after that.

You'll be fine, good luck with it =)

Thanks everyone for replying, I do feel a lot better about it than I did. The info and advice is very helpful.

I do have another question though, do counsellors try to diagnose or put labels on you? I know I've got issues with some stuff that isn't normal but I'm not sure I want anyone else to tell me that for certain if that makes any sense? I'm not exactly sure what I want to get out of counselling I just know that I can't keep going the way I am and this seems to be something that may help.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for replying, I do feel a lot better about it than I did. The info and advice is very helpful.

I do have another question though, do counsellors try to diagnose or put labels on you? I know I've got issues with some stuff that isn't normal but I'm not sure I want anyone else to tell me that for certain if that makes any sense? I'm not exactly sure what I want to get out of counselling I just know that I can't keep going the way I am and this seems to be something that may help.
    A good counselor shouldn't try to diagnose you - it's totally out of their league to do so. I can sympathize with how you've said you don't want someone to tell you for certain I think that's a pretty common feeling. It's also normal to not have like a big plan or anything for what you want to get out of counseling; again a good counselor should be able to help you explore that.

If you don't know what's wrong or what you want to do about things, I think talking to a counselor is a good first step. They should be able to talk things over with you and help you come to a conclusion of what to do. You might find that your "issues" are too big for a counselor but that's ok, you can always talk to a doctor afterwards, then again, maybe it'll be the thing you need. It's worth a shot either way. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied for my first counselling session through my uni, had/have no idea what to expect and was about to post a similar thread to this one, then I found it.

Answered most of my questions!

I hope it went well for you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.