Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a month off due to sickness, muscle memory? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'll be taking the next month off due to a nasty throat infection. Over the last week I've only been eating a fraction of what I'm supposed to, maybe 1000 cals a day max as opposed to 3500. I already feel like I've lost weight. Anyhow, naturally after a month of barely eating and no lifting, how long should it take me to get back to where I initially was? I had about 2 years progress under my belt.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    Hey, I'll be taking the next month off due to a nasty throat infection. Over the last week I've only been eating a fraction of what I'm supposed to, maybe 1000 cals a day max as opposed to 3500. I already feel like I've lost weight. Anyhow, naturally after a month of barely eating and no lifting, how long should it take me to get back to where I initially was? I had about 2 years progress under my belt.
    Thanks!
    Everyone's different. It depends on your body, your hormonal profile and how much of a loss you made. No one could predict it without knowing exactly how much you've lost. How much muscle have you lost approximately?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reptilian)
    Everyone's different. It depends on your body, your hormonal profile and how much of a loss you made. No one could predict it without knowing exactly how much you've lost. How much muscle have you lost approximately?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well, it's difficult to tell as it's only been a week. The scale says 1KG which is a lot for a week but I'm guessing it's mostly water weight and the fact that I've been eating so little?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    well, it's difficult to tell as it's only been a week. The scale says 1KG which is a lot for a week but I'm guessing it's mostly water weight and the fact that I've been eating so little?
    On a diet that restricted in calories, I wouldn't be surprised if that 1kg loss is 50:50 muscle:fat, you'd undoubtedly lose mass on a diet like that in a week. Some people even lose 2-3kg on a keto diet by the way so it's not unfeasible. Best thing to do is weigh yourself same time everyday when you've been to the toilet and haven't eaten or drank anything by the way. A loss of 1kg muscle mass shouldn't be much and once you're back in fighting shape, just get that protein in and maybe supplement with a bit of protein and I'm guessing you'd make it back in about a month maybe depending on how much of a hard gainer you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need to take a month off?

ReputationRep:
    Hit your caloric maintenance level.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard one week off, two weeks worth of training goes too.

But evidence shows if you could do once set of 5 reps you'll maintain levels of strength with no decrease.

However I'm pretty sure after a month off you'll be fine, muscle memory kicks in and you'll be back to where you were in a few weeks, possibly start better.
    As in two cases with me, I tore my rotator cuff, couldn't do upper body for 2 months come back didn't decrease much in the first week but then the second week I was lifting more than I ever had.
    And last September I lost 2/3 stone due to a hiatus hernia ******* bla bla bla, then at Christmas it was sorted out, couldn't gym from September - December. When I came back I thought I would struggle completely, I only lost around 10-20kg on all lifts then by May/ June I smashed all my PB's by 30/40kg
    So yeah nothing to worry about, just come back and train harder than you did before
    Jack

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.