Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lonely lonely USA lol! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The US has Veto power so this resolution didn't pass! So actually it is rather significant!

ReputationRep:
    Could you please clarify what this is about? Over my head I'm afraid, obviously it's to do with Israel/Palestine but not sure what exactly is going on in the picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amphiprion)
    Could you please clarify what this is about? Over my head I'm afraid, obviously it's to do with Israel/Palestine but not sure what exactly is going on in the picture.
    Votes on whether an investigation should be done on the claims that Israel has commited war crimes.

Voting no or abstaining is a pretty big hit on democracy. Nothing wrong with an investigation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Votes on whether an investigation should be done on th eclaims that Israel has commited war crimes.

Voting no or abstaining is a pretty big hit on democracy.
    Right, this was the UN? What does the PT refer to in the screen title out of curiosity?

'Murica is between a rock and a hard place really. Voting yes is almost betraying Israel and implicating themselves through the supply of arms, voting no makes their claims about freedom and justice look about as stout as cardboard in a car wash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnomeMage)
    Aaand...this is....? :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    Right, this was the UN? What does the PT refer to in the screen title out of curiosity?

'Murica is between a rock and a hard place really. Voting yes is almost betraying Israel and implicating themselves through the supply of arms, voting no makes their claims about freedom and justice look about as stout as cardboard in a car wash.
    Yes: http://www.nationaljournal.com/polit...-gaza-20140723

I don't know what the PT means though.

Just shows how biased they are though and they clearly don't care as much, if it were the other way around though.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The USA were being honest for once with their vote. I would welcome an investigation into Israeli war crimes as long as Palestinian/Hamas war crimes are also investigated.

I'm not placing any bets, but if I did, it wouldn't be on Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes: http://www.nationaljournal.com/polit...-gaza-20140723

I don't know what the PT means though.

Just shows how biased they are though and they clearly don't care as much, if it were the other way around though.. :rolleyes:
    Absoloutely, covering their own asses first and foremost I imagine. I think Israel have acted questionably, especially in reaction to the kidnap/murder of the three boys and the instigation of this current violence following it. I struggle to see an alternative to their counter strikes on Hamas rocket sites though. The strike on the boys on the beach, that alone needs some serious questions asking. I believe Palestinian deaths is probably what Hamas want though. I think an investigation is definitely warranted.

ReputationRep:
    Absoloutely, covering their own asses first and foremost I imagine. I think Israel have acted questionably, especially in reaction to the kidnap/murder of the three boys and the instigation of this current violence following it. I struggle to see an alternative to their counter strikes on Hamas rocket sites though. The strike on the boys on the beach, that alone needs some serious questions asking. I believe Palestinian deaths is probably what Hamas want though. I think an investigation is definitely warranted.
    I agree. I'm not sure of Hamas' intention with the civilians but I'm rather skeptical of the shelling of those children on the beach and in UN shelters.. fair enough about trying to stop the rocket fire but it does seem like Israel doesn't give one about the civilians.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I'm not sure of Hamas' intention with the civilians but I'm rather skeptical of the shelling of those children on the beach and in UN shelters.. fair enough about trying to stop the rocket fire but it does seem like Israel doesn't give one about the civilians.
    In a Paxman interview with the Israeli assistant PM (I forget his actual title, second in command though from what I gathered), he [Israeli representative] pretty much dodged the question about the beach strike. What he did say essentially implied it was just a mistake by their weapons systems/the person at the controls. I certainly don't see an Israeli official sanctioning it deliberately, would have known it'd be nothing but a PR nightmare when they are already under the microscope.

If their systems are capable of such catastrophic **** ups though, they shouldn't really be in operation around civilians. That is where the "are they doing enough to protect civilians?" questions are raised. I don't believe they are.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone like...help me out here, thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.