Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a small question about overdrafts, when can you access them? It is once you get paid by Student Fiance? Or is it when you open the account? If certain banks offer the latter please tell me which ones.

Basically am moving in halls (fingers crossed) around the 15th and won't be getting money off student fiance until the 25th, so I'll need money to live off until then. I am going trying to get a job to save up but I want to make sure that I'll be ok for money when I get there. I could move in later but it means I'll miss freshers and will be behind meeting my new flatmates which isn't ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjhamping)
    I have a small question about overdrafts, when can you access them? It is once you get paid by Student Fiance? Or is it when you open the account? If certain banks offer the latter please tell me which ones.

Basically am moving in halls (fingers crossed) around the 15th and won't be getting money off student fiance until the 25th, so I'll need money to live off until then. I am going trying to get a job to save up but I want to make sure that I'll be ok for money when I get there. I could move in later but it means I'll miss freshers and will be behind meeting my new flatmates which isn't ideal.
    They're all different. Who are you with?

If you open a Santander Student Account and put £500.00 in, the full overdraft of £1,500 unlocks. Then you can move the £500.00 back out so you could borrow this £500.00 off a friend or relative for a week and then you've suddenly got £1,500 available.

ReputationRep:
    I opened a student account with Halifax about three months ago (I have an unconditional so I had my offer letter) and they gave me a £1000 overdraft straight away. I work P/T so also pay £400 in every month which probably helps though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.