The Student Room Group

Is GCSE PE sexist?

PE lessons are basically taught in a sexist way, according to a senior Tory MP.

While I know boys and girls are separated, is the PE curriculum sexist in favour of boys?
Baisically yes-No wonder not many people watch women sports.
Reply 2
Original post by Numberwang

While I know boys and girls are separated, is the PE curriculum sexist in favour of boys?

The word "sexist" isn't mentioned once. That's something that you invented for yourself and attributed to the CMS committee.

There's also no mention at all of GCSE PE. You made that up as well.

On point - it depends on how you want to look at things. In this country, we swing wildly from one extreme to the other bitching like crazy about how we need to widen sport and include things like spinning and zumba - and then the next minute wringing our hands at why we don't win at team sports.

I personally think that whilst there should be more choice, there should be compulsion to take part in at least some team sport. Otherwise, you're doing no more than playing up to the TSR trope of being introverted and anti-social and leaving people alone simply because they want to be. Team sports need not be highly competitive, but the social aspect needs to be there. If school teams went further down the ability order so that there were (for example) netball 3rd, 4th and 5th teams, as well intramural only teams, then that would improve things dramatically.

Maybe, I'm not sure. At our school girls never did football which lots of us wanted to do haha. Boys never did rounders either which all of my class enjoyed so I think the boys would have enjoyed doing it too. It is sexist in that girls don't do "boys" sports and vice versa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Clip
The word "sexist" isn't mentioned once. That's something that you invented for yourself and attributed to the CMS committee.

There's also no mention at all of GCSE PE. You made that up as well.

On point - it depends on how you want to look at things. In this country, we swing wildly from one extreme to the other bitching like crazy about how we need to widen sport and include things like spinning and zumba - and then the next minute wringing our hands at why we don't win at team sports.

I personally think that whilst there should be more choice, there should be compulsion to take part in at least some team sport. Otherwise, you're doing no more than playing up to the TSR trope of being introverted and anti-social and leaving people alone simply because they want to be. Team sports need not be highly competitive, but the social aspect needs to be there. If school teams went further down the ability order so that there were (for example) netball 3rd, 4th and 5th teams, as well intramural only teams, then that would improve things dramatically.

1. Sexism = attitudes or behaviour based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles, which is what the article suggests with PE

2. I'm not making up GCSE PE, I'm merely asking the question because I think it relates to it specifically as it's the first major PE qualification and girls might feel disadvantaged within that.
Reply 5
1. Sexism = attitudes or behaviour based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles, which is what the article suggests with PE

That's not a description of sexism which I recognise, nor is it in anyway representative of the what the CMS reported. They suggested that girls' sport could be different and more individual. On what planet is that inferring sex discrimination?

2. I'm not making up GCSE PE, I'm merely asking the question because I think it relates to it specifically as it's the first major PE qualification and girls might feel disadvantaged within that.

You made a quantum leap from one thing to the next, and GCSE PE is not even mentioned. And for good reason. It would be absurd. Take your jump to its logical conclusion, and in the name of equality, you'd have a boys being assessed (at GCSE) on football and rugby; and someone having to sit down and work out how to assess GCSE Zumba or spinning.
Reply 6
Original post by Clip
That's not a description of sexism which I recognise, nor is it in anyway representative of the what the CMS reported. They suggested that girls' sport could be different and more individual. On what planet is that inferring sex discrimination?

You made a quantum leap from one thing to the next, and GCSE PE is not even mentioned. And for good reason. It would be absurd. Take your jump to its logical conclusion, and in the name of equality, you'd have a boys being assessed (at GCSE) on football and rugby; and someone having to sit down and work out how to assess GCSE Zumba or spinning.

1. Definition of sexism is well supported by official sources!

2. GCSE PE is in my title, but in my post I clearly state 'PE lessons'. PE lessons take place in GCSE. I'm asking a question which strays from the research. I'm not making a quantum leap.
Reply 7
PE is ****ing stupid anyway. Just let us do whatever sport/exercise we want.
I personally hated PE because I wanted to play football and rugby, but we got dumped with pathetic netball. Then we had girls complaining all of the time for all sorts of different reasons. When we did dance in Y7, it was the sort of dancing you find in pop videos. I felt disgusted with myself. I don't want all of these silly dance mat games, I want proper good exercise and good competitive sport.

Most of it is girls whinging, no wonder PE for us is rubbish.
Reply 9
I think PE is one subject which should be set by ability so that all pupils can get high quality provision that suits them. Typical lessons should also be revamped so that pupils spend more time actually doing something. I think that all pupils should spend the whole lesson moving with only short breaks. (Currently you stand around most of the time, waiting for your turn.) Also, it is one subject where I would actually give homework - you can easily practise lots of skills at home or in the park.

It is a great subject to teach cooperation AND competition AND discipline.

I think there are gender stereotypes in sport (schools tend to pander to "tribal, competitive" boys and "eager to please, airy-fairy" girls) and the simplest way to circumvent these stereotypes is to just let boys and girls select freely two sports they want to do each term, with perhaps the restriction that they should be able to learn a range of skills from the sports they picked.

The alternative is to make everyone pick one team sport and one individual sport, so that everyone can learn to cooperate and compete (and compete against oneself). I see some value in that as well because I think both are equally important character traits.
I'm not sure if I'd class it as sexist I think it varies by school. Ours was pretty ridiculous though, I went to a school that was a "sports college" so there was a big emphasis on sports and yet the girls only ever did netball, dance or rounders in PE that was it. While the boys did literally everything from football to rugby to vaulting.
At my school it wasn't, GCSE PE lessons were mixed and we did lots of different sports. Core PE wasn't but we were usually split by ability so everyone actually got to play at a suitable level. Girls basketball was the most succesful team across both genders so yeah it depends on the school.
Posted from TSR Mobile
They say they want to get more women involved in sport while also saying that competitive sport isn't appealing to girls.

Newsflash: if it's not competitive, it's not sport. Sorry girls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending